Central Florida Users Group (Orlando Area)

Hey guys,

I'm just getting into the arduino myself here but I can see there are alot of people in the orlando area that are using the arduino and would like to meet up.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in having a group of us meet. Instead of me leading a workshop (which I'm not qualified to do) I thought it would be nice to get noobs and experianced guys together where we could bounce ideas off each other and mybe the more experianced guys could help us noobs out with any problems we were having.

Maybe some simple sketches could be brought for people to play with as well. Also if there are any guys out there that have some cool examples they want to bring and show off as well.

If there is enough interest lets see where we can meet and make this happen.

Thanks John

Howdy, sorry I missed this post. I live in Orlando and would love to have someone to bounce ideas off of as well.

I am pretty much a noob as well, but I have built a few simple projects. I don't really have all the time in the world (between work and a house renovation) but I would love to get together and talk or come up with a few small projects that would help me to grow my understanding and confidence. Heck, if I can learn or teach a few things along the way that would be great as well!

Sounds good to me.

I have a project that I'm currently working on that involves a 16 by 2 serial LCD module, a Micro SD memory module from Libelium, a 16K FRAM (Ferroelectric RAM (FeRAM or FRAM)) memory module from mouser.com, an instrumentation amp INA128 from mouser.com, and a 30 lbs load cell I got from ebay.

I've figured out how to interface each component with the arduino, with the exception of the FRAM that has not arrived yet. After I figure out the FRAM chip I'll be tying it all together.

I'll be glad to bring the components that I have and show how each one works with the arduino. I'm also planning on playing around with some other libraries including the servo library and I'll be glad to share any of those as well.

Not sure where we can meet yet but we can figure that out as the group forms more.

Thanks John

I live in the Melbourne area, but my GF lives in Orlando, so I am up there all the time. A meet up would be quite possible and welcome for me.

-Chase

+1 in Orlando

I'm in Pasco co. (N. of Tampa) I'd be willing to make the drive once a month/quarter possibly

I'm in Orlando and would gladly host such a group.

I'm just completing my first major Arduino project which includes an Arduino Mega, a WaveShield, a 20x4 LCD, lighted buttons, analog gauges, a piezo siren, a strobe warning light, a shift (in) register and a joystick from an M1 Abrams Tank. It all comes together to form a spaceship simulator in my son's room.

My electronics background is weak (but improving quickly!), but I'm a long-time coder. My primary motivation at this point is to teach my son basic electronics and to see if he takes an interest in coding.

im in tampa, but i wont mind driving to orlando

Hey everybody, I am in Daytona Beach. I am part of a rocketry club in my University and we are starting to get into Arduinos, and a meet in Orlando would be perfect.

+1 Gville

Looks like good interest...

How about posting more info so we can put together an agenda...

1) What is your skill level / background? 2) What are you interested in? 3) What can you bring to show others? (Arduino related products or projects?)

For me:

1) In my first month of Arduino learning, but moving quickly :) Long-time coder, great with basic electricity and circuits, but never built anything "complicated" until now.

2) I'd love to see GPS or Ethernet shield projects in person, or any of the miniature Arduino variants.

3) I have a nice new array of 9 ShiftBrites and an RTC module that would make for good demos...I also have a WaveShield & Arduino Mega although they are about to be semi-permanently mounted :)

My current project is documented here: http://raisinggeeksandgearheads.blogspot.com/

I'm in Orlando, so if we can work out the scheduling (I'm in an MBA program, so I'm pretty scheduled), I can help with the logistics (location, etc.)

1) Haha I believe I fall under the "none" skill level. 2) Because of club projects I am really interested in experimenting with sensors and data logging. 2) Personally have not built anything unique but the more advanced friends I have are working on pretty cool things, like a wireless launch box for out rockets.

1 hour N. of Gville, but I would love to see where this leads. I would be willing to drive three hours if the reward was worth the time. Go Gators! I played B-ball for the Gators in '91-92!

Hey I live in deltona so not to far away from any of you, also there is a couple tech/hacker lab groups I've found in the area

http://familab.org/ they just started up a couple months ago and havent updated the page much

http://binrevmeetings.com/407/ has been going for some time and meets monthly at the altamonte springs mall.

I haven't actually gone to any of these things, nor know anyone in them (part of the reason for not having gone to them yet) but figured I would pass them on since I looked long and hard for them.

As for experience level, I play around with it and have a decent amount of coding experience (associates in comp sci) but seem to be stumbling on the circuitry. Current project is a cnc machine that keeps getting procrastinated.

I'm not far away myself on the left beach...

Would like to swap some exp for code help!

Handy with soldering iron but new to C so the code gives me fits... I have an auto pilot system for the boat in the works...

IT Network/Servers etc

Road

1:Im pretty decent with code (only c++, not avr assembler) and hardware tho not so much with really purely electrical nuances. Oh yea and Im a mech engineer in training (4th yr) at UF

2:Robotics, drone aircraft, a lot of different things, avid follower of ardupilot and the guys @ diydrones.

3: I reverse engineered the wii motion plus and have a few demos of that that are posted around, built a library to control the isobot robot, and have an awesome working bus notifier that works completely from the ethernet module to check bus position from gville's GPS website. And it can be accessed via txt message to twitter.

2:Robotics, drone aircraft, a lot of different things, avid follower of ardupilot and the guys @ diydrones.

3: I reverse engineered the wii motion plus and have a few demos of that that are posted around, built a library to control the isobot robot, and have an awesome working bus notifier that works completely from the ethernet module to check bus position from gville's GPS website. And it can be accessed via txt message to twitter.

Cool stuff & fun projects! I just saw ardupilot for the first time the other day - looks like a great project for me and the boys :)

Hello there!

I would like to be part of a Central Florida group. My background is in Engineering with decent HW knowledge and am working on improving my C programming skills.

My interests are: - 3D printing (just ordered a MakerBot http://www.makerbot.com/) and have ambitions to build my own CNC machine to make PCB etc. - Video on the Arduino. I LOVE Rossum's work http://rossum.posterous.com/ and will not rest until I can code like him.

Other than that, I am located in the Longwood area and am spending way too much time hacking stuff..... ;)

My name is Rob Reilly and I want to organize an Arduino group in Orlando, FL. Want to do the first meeting, any weekday evening (except Wednesday), in April, probably 2nd week or 3rd week.

Send me your contact info, email, phone numbers so I can gauge interest. Can I count on the people on this list to attend?

Will plan for about 10-15 people. Target location will be downtown Orlando somewhere. If we get a good turnout, planning subsequent meetings will be possible.

Planning on about 2 hours for the first meeting to get organized. I'll break the ice with a demo of my Arduino/Xbee/Linux notebook data logger (15-30 minutes). Bring your projects, ideas, and we can trade stories and introductions. Think about what you want to accomplish, contribute, and get out of an enthusiastic group.

I envision meetings once or twice a month, more if we have some real go getters.

Possible after-meeting meeting at a local watering hole.

Geeks, engineers, IT, artists, consultants, gurus, business people can all add to the mix.

Contact: Rob Reilly robreilly@earthlink.net 407-718-3274 http://home.earthlink.net/~robreilly

First post. I am near downtown Orlando and interested in participating in a users group. Electronic consumer product hardware/software design background.