Change of ttyACM* when trying to upload code

I develop on a Linux laptop and use the Sloeber plugin for my Arduino development. I have always suffered with the Serial port changing its identity when uploading code which is really frustrating. I decided that I could hack it no longer so I wrote a UDEV rule to provide a mapping of the usb serial Manufactures ID [2341] and product ID [8050] to a SYMLINK to ttyACM9.
I was very confused when the symlink was only created once and not recreated on subsequent re-connections. What I found when I ran "lsusb" was the product ID was not read correctly and was showing [0050] and not [8050]. Would this be a USB serial driver issue?
I have modified my UDEV rule to use only use the manufacture ID which may not be ideal but seems to be working form me at the moment.
NOTE: I am using Ubuntu 21.04

I use the same IDE but with Linux Mint 19.1 (based on Ubuntu 18.04 I think)
I had similar problems with Nano BLE 33. The native USB used for programming interrupted the USB link at the PC. That switched to the next free ttyACMx.

Because I use more BLE 33 at the same time (with different projects in the same workspace) I do not use the embedded serial monitor but several instances of GtkTerm. No problems any more. Only you have to reconnect the terminal (key F5) after flashing the board. The ttyACMx connection is stable.

By the way, I start the different instances of GtkTerm with different configurations (different background colors and ttyACMs) via Run->External Tools from Eclipse.

I returned a Nano Every because it was doing this on my Mint 20.1 PC. It looks like your fix worked fine though. I might have to do the same.

Also the UI of Ubuntu is awful. I'm not sure how you live with it.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.