Choosing and using a Multimeter/DMM/DVM/Simpson

Multimeters (DMM/DVM/Simpson) - An important tool for Arduino projects.

The video:

The transcript:

I disagree, the oscilloscope can do what the multimeter can do plus a lot more. For a beginner it is the best place to start.

I've never "needed" one at home. (I do have oscilloscopes at work.)

I've never seen one that can measure resistance or current (although they may exist) and they are more expensive than a multimeter.

They are also bulkier (if you get a "real one" with a nice-size display) and they normally require AC power so they are not as "handy".

1 Like

I am aware of the Oscope and the logic/pulses it will measure. Many new-to-electrics/electronics/Arduino are often asked to measure potentials and current, and I feel this moment is not the time for me to point them to the advantages of an oscope (hardware or "pocket" software). I used a pocket DMM for decades in areas without power outlets (!) chasing down the source of being shocks when washing vegetables, and grounds so hot it powered a light bulb. Customs never blinked an eye at a DMM.

Mine has Hall Effect current probes from uA to several hundred amps, different probes different capacities. With Voltage Drop and current resistance is an easy calculation. Look up the Tektronix line of scopes. Not cheep but a great instrument. I have several of them.

Hello @xfpd

Moved from Introductory Tutorials as this does not meet the requirements for the Introductory Tutorials category. Please follow How to submit a tutorial if you wish this topic to be moved back to Introductory Tutorials.

I agree. My intent was not to show a tutorial, rather a "here is information about the DMM" ... described in post #4, answering "... did you measure the pin..." I struggled with which category.

1 Like