Christmas Lights

Hi,

I am planning to set up Christmas Lights for the Christmas Tree. My idea is to light 10 Lights (110V AC), at a timely fashion. Something like flashing lights.

Please, guide me which relay board / design i can use.

Thanks,

dominic@arduino:
Hi,

I am planning to set up Christmas Lights for the Christmas Tree. My idea is to light 10 Lights (110V AC), at a timely fashion. Something like flashing lights.

Please, guide me which relay board / design i can use.

Thanks,

Going to need more informaton than just the voltage. Current requirements? Frequency of flashing?

Current Settings

10 - 12 String of lights connected in Christmas Tree, to light the Tree.

Requirements

Flash lights in a pattern.

Main Idea

Flash the 10 string of lights with respect to "Ding Dong" Christmas music.

dom@arduino:
Current Settings

10 - 12 String of lights connected in Christmas Tree, to light the Tree.

Requirements

Flash lights in a pattern.

Main Idea

Flash the 10 string of lights with respect to “Ding Dong” Christmas music.

You didn’t answer either question:

Current as in Amps, Coulombs Per Second, Volts per Ohm.
Frequency as in Hertz, Cycles per second, Angular velocity per 2 Pi.

That answer doesn’t really give me much confidence that you should be messing around with high voltage mains. Perhaps the PowerSwitch Tail would be a better option.

A relay board [u]like this[/u] is probably the easiest way to go. (You'll need a 2nd one if you need to control 10 "channels".) A string of regular indoor christmas lights is usually less than 1 Amp. If its LED lights, it will be much less.

The important thing is to isolate your low-voltage Arduino (and yourself and other humans) from the 120V line. Relays will take care of the isolation.

You can use individual relays, but most relays require more than the 5V Arduino output.

Solid state relays are another good option. They are silent. They don't wear out. You can get them with 5V inputs that can control just about any voltage/amperage on the ouput. But, they are more costly.

dom@arduino:

Do you mean all lamps flashing on/off together, or are you envisaging being able to control them separately?

How are you going to decide when to flash them? Just hard-coded fixed sequences, or something triggered by music or synchronised in some way?

I would also like to see how this could be accomplished. If an example exists with the necessary hardware, that would be great!

If an Arduino sketch could be deconvolve a song, use parts of the song on each channel (e.g. drums blink red string of Christmas lights, bells blinked a blue string of Christmas lights, etc.)

I am planning to setup like this

and like this