Computers do not seem to detect arduino

Hello everyone, I'm totally new to arduino, so please bear with this long post and excuse my mistakes. I think I did all i could with all the troubleshooting steps and reading some posts on the forums, but with no success.

I have an arduino uno as part of the official starter kit ("original" as far as i can tell). I have tried various ways on two computers, but it seems the board is not detected. One computer runs windows 7 enterprise (64bit) and the other runs windows 10 home (64bit).

First off, I tried to use the web editor on chrome on the win 7 computer. After installing the plugin, the web editor was able to launch (and icon on task bar appears in green/blue) but there was a message about a problem with the plugin and that sketches could not be uploaded. I tried to reinstall the plugin, with the same result. I then connected the arduino, and the green led lit up, with one yellow led blinking slowly, and in the editor window, the board name shows up, but with a red "x" alongside.

Next, I tried the same thing on chrome on the win 10 computer, with the same result (error message about plugin, red "x", lights on the board).

Next, I tried to install the full software on the win 7 computer. During the installation, there were prompts for driver installation, resulting in 4 or 5 drivers being installed. Following the instructions, I then connected the arduino, but there was no auto-prompt regarding drivers. I tried to manually install drivers by launching device manager (showing hidden devices) but saw nothing listed as "other device" or "port" or anything which i could recognise as the arduino. I then launched the program, and could see the arduino uno listed under "(tools)/boards" menu but the "port" menu item was greyed out, and no ports were listed.

Next, i tried downloading the arduino windows 10 app onto the win 10 computer. After the app was installed and launched, the same issues were noted: nothing showing up under device manager and "ports" greyed out within the app interface.

The win 7 computer runs trend micro anti virus and windows firewall, while the win 10 computer only has win defender. During the various installations, there were prompts for firewall exceptions and these were "allowed". I was not able to find anything else to change in this regard.

It's been rather frustrating, and I would really appreciate some help!

Post screenshot from Device Manager and, if present, detailed information about the device, mainly Hardware ID

Many thanks for the quick response. I now get just how dumb i was - as i was getting ready to make the screenshots, i plugged the arduino into a different usb port, and things started happening, which made me realize that apparently not all usb ports "recognize" devices, which is why device manager did not list "unknown" or "other" devices. It was a coincidence that i had connected the arduino to the wrong usb ports on both computers! Once I had the right usb ports, everything worked.

USB 3.0 has and is known to cause issues.

Avoid if that was the case or insert a decent POWERED USB 2.0 hub between the USB 3.0 and the Arduino.

I also am having issues connecting to my computer. I have bought a Elegoo MEGA 2560 R3 off of Amazon and my computer will not detect it. I have tried many different cables, usb ports, computers every driver I could find. Nothing works :frowning:

@YTDonny.

Is that a question or a statement ?

If its a statement fine but if its a question then you need to add a LOT of detail.
There is a post called "How to use this forum - please read"
Would suggest you take the time to read it and understand thats yours is currently just a "me too" statement.

ballscrewbob:
@YTDonny.

Is that a question or a statement ?

If its a statement fine but if its a question then you need to add a LOT of detail.
There is a post called "How to use this forum - please read"
Would suggest you take the time to read it and understand thats yours is currently just a "me too" statement.

he started his own thread http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=551581.0