Connecting Arduino to CAN-Bus shield <Solved>

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Arduino and I'm trying to send CAN-bus data with Arduino.
I'm using this CAN-Bus shield from SeeedStudio plugged in an Arduino Uno R3.
When data it getting through, both Tx and Rx leds light on on the Shield.
When I have the shield plugged in the Arduino, it works but when I try to wire it with pins it doesn't. Could someone tell me which pins I need to connect please?
Eventually, I want to use the HW-184 connected with Arduino Nano. I tried wiring it with the pins but it doesn't work either.

Thanks to everyone that will take the time to read me and help!

Axel

What do you mean “wire it with pins”. You wire it as per the instructions on the site you listed. You need to power your arduino and connect the signals and power as shown on the diagram. You can ignore the wiring to any pins that are marked “free”

I am not familiar with your shield, but I am with the modules in the link. I highly recommend you view a few tutorials on the basics of CAN and the CAN protocol. First you will find it requires two ends and they must be terminated, the ones in the middle no termination. The CAN protocol requires an ACK from a remote module, this occurs in the middle of a transmission. Based on this you system is not working, it cannot with one module. Loopback will let you know the module is connected properly but does not send or receive messages. The loopback connection is in the MPC2515. Your link shows how to do it and they are using Cory Fowler's library, it is a good library that works great. Get the two working (send and receive) before trying anything else. They show the CAN modules with 8 Mhz crystals you need to adjust your setup for the correct value. I hint although not required connect all grounds until you get it working. Expect to spend a few weeks to get up to speed on this. I spend several years working with it.

Thank you for your help, the problem was the library I was using did not support 8MHZ crystals, I used another one and now it works!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.