I would like to create a control system for my shower sump on my sailboat. It's a very simple project, but I am new to adruino so I would like to get some advice. I want to delay the activation of the discharge pump on my shower sump to avoid short cycles which are hard on the pump. And, I would like to run for a few seconds after the switch shuts off to prevent false triggers as the boat moves around. Pretty basic needs.
Here are the requirements for the project:
- Reliability of the electronics in a high humidity environment
- Be able to fire a 12v relay and read a switch position as either open or closed. (RLS125 Relay)
- Preferably be able to run everything on 12v.
- Have very low standby power so as not to drain the battery needlessly. The pump only runs a few times a day.
- Be able to program from Macintosh (I believe all board can do this, but thought I would throw it in there)
I was able to find the PDF which shows the external circuit to fire a 12v relay at 500ma.
What model of Adruino board should I purchase? There are so many options it seems that I don't know which one would be most appropriate for my project. How do folks mount the external little relay components?
Thanks for any help you can provide. I am new to this development environment, so all feedback is welcome.