Control heat lamps with Arduino?

Hey guys! I am an engineering student working on a project where we must control humidity and temperature in a box.

The Arduino would control the inlet and outlet fans (x1 and x2, respectively), an ultrasonic fogger (x1) and heat lamps (x2, 100 Watts each, AC 90-120V). It would display the temperature and humidity on a small LCD display.

I was wondering how I would possibly interface the heat lamps with the Arduino if they are using E26 sockets with a plug for wall socket? Would the Arduino need to control an external power supply or would I need to strip the wires of the E26 socket and plug them directly into the Arduino?

Sorry if my nomenclature is confusing, I am very new to Arduino and any advice will help! I attached pictures to help explain the components.

-jlaw

e26 socket.PNG

100W bulb.PNG

Piece of cake to control the lamps. Use a solid state relay that is rated for the voltage and current of the combined lamps. Plug the lamps into a power strip and wire the SSR in series with the hot lead of the power strip.

The SSR used a 5 volt signal from the Arduino to turn on or off.

Paul

@jlaw

Other post/duplicate DELETED
Please do NOT cross post / duplicate as it wastes peoples time and efforts to have more than one post for a single topic.

Please READ THIS POST to help you get the best out of the forum.

Bob.

Buy an Arduino Relay Shield, make sure the relays meet the voltage and current draw of your lights, then write a digital pin high/low to activate the light ect..

Paul_KD7HB:
Piece of cake to control the lamps. Use a solid state relay that is rated for the voltage and current of the combined lamps. Plug the lamps into a power strip and wire the SSR in series with the hot lead of the power strip.

The SSR used a 5 volt signal from the Arduino to turn on or off.

Paul

Thank you so much! I will try this. Do I have to strip the wires of the power strip in order to wire it in series with the SSR?

jlaw:
Thank you so much! I will try this. Do I have to strip the wires of the power strip in order to wire it in series with the SSR?

To biggy back on this, yes and no...

Yes to use a shield, no if you want to use something like this.

SADLY..basically only 2 plugs are controlled, and it only has 1 digital input to control the 3 plugs..if anyone finds something that has 4 plugs that can be controlled please share with us.. i would love something like this that had separate control for 4 plugs that dont require any cutting.

I'd go with a triac-based solution:

The advantage of these modules is they also have a built-in zero crossing detector. So, you can implement AC cycle chopping control if you want to. That's in addition to being able to control by low-frequency PWM or bang-bang just like an SSR.

you need to use the relay between Arduino and Fan/Lamp. Follow this wiring instruction.

For temprature and humidity algorithm, I think it PID controller can be used. I am interested in your project. If possible, after finishing, please share me your project

IoT_hobbyist:
I think it PID controller can be used.

A PID would be way over-kill and unnecessarily complex for this application. All the temperature control needs is a simple bang-bang regulator with a degree of hysteresis on each side of the set point. It's simple and guaranteed stable.

Similar story for the humidity.