Controlling a Potentiometer with a servo/motor, via an expression pedal

Hello everyone!
I am bran new to the world of Arduino and was wondering if someone could possibly point me in the right direction. (Not do all the work for me :wink: )

So my goal is to control knobs/pots on analog musical hardware with a standard expression pedal/ usually a 10k pot.

Basically a simpler version of this project that never got of the ground.
I dont need the midi control over the knobs, just expression/CV

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geckotool/geckotool-total-control-over-your-music-gear/description

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Excited to start using Arduino!

If the knobs don't require too much force or too wide a range of movement then a hobby servo should be able to turn it without problem. A hobby servo usually comes with a variety of arms (sometimes called horns or bell-cranks) that attach to the output shaft (the shaft is usually splined or sometimes square). It should not be hard to 3D-print an adapter that replaces the knob and has a recess in the top into which one of the arms will fit. You then need a way to support the servo with it's shaft over the knob shaft at the right hight to engage the arm with the adapter.

If you know someone with a 3D printer of sufficient resolution you can print an adapter that fits the servo shaft and the knob shaft, thus eliminating the servo arm.

Time travel. About 50-years ago the remotes for TVs would run a motor that changed the channel or volume control.

You could just replace the pot with a Digital Potentiometer.

In addition to the shaft adapter (assuming a rotary pot!), you also have to secure the servo so it doesn't rotate.

Paul

SteveMann:
Time travel. About 50-years ago the remotes for TVs would run a motor that changed the channel or volume control.

You could just replace the pot with a Digital Potentiometer.

Very cool!
I will keep this in mind for the future.
I'm really looking to make this a quick swap; pop on and off kind of thing, but I like this as a possibility.