I'm trying to design a device which will automatically water our Christmas Tree because I will be away for a week. I'm based in the UK and am 'beginner' level.
My intention is as follows:
- Big bucket of water next to the Christmas tree.
- Using Arduino Uno R3 + water level sensor (placed inside the tree stand) to measure the water level
- Once it drops below a threshold, the pump will activate for a couple of seconds, sucking water from the bucket and filling the tree stand with water via a PVC tube.
I intend to power the Arduino + water level sensor via USB, using the 5v pin on the Arduino (or breadboard 5v power supply) to power the sensor.
I have designed something using a mini 5v pump which I had lying around. I believe I could power this pump from the 5v breadboard power supply (with the Arduino + water level sensor powered separately via USB-B cable).
My first question is... Is this design correct? It will help my understanding but in any case the pump is too small and unreliable for this application. (I'm sorry, it's in Frizting, I don't know how to do proper schematics yet...)
I want to use a 9v pump but I don't understand how to change this design to incorporate a bigger pump?
The desired pump is 3.5-9v 1-3W. It will need to run it close to max power to generate enough suction to move from the big bucket (which is about 40cm high) and through 1m of pvc tube to the tree stand.
I calculated that the pump will use 0.33mA at 9v / 3W. I believe I could power it using a 9v 1A 3 pin (UK) USB wall plug. The pumps wire has a USB connection.
I will plug it into a USBA female/female coupler (in parts list below), and in turn into a USBA Male -> TTL cable (also listed below) so I can somehow use the Arduino to control the power supply to the pump as needed. (I know it may be easier to just solder the wires instead of using USB but I don't trust my soldering)
The parts where I am stumped:
- Is my initial 5v mini pump design correct?
- Can I use the existing relay / L293D with a bigger 9v pump?
- If so, how do I wire it etc?
- Coding wise I should be OK.
Parts list so far:
- Arduino Uno R3
- 3.5-9v 1-3w submersible water pump (https://www.amazon.co.uk/flintronic-Submersible-Aquarium-Statuary-Hydroponics/dp/B07TW39QXP)
- 9v 1a DC power supply https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multibao-1000mA-Adapter-Charger-Replacement/dp/B09KX9PDRS
- 10cm Water level sensor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seeed-Studios-Grove-Sensor-Arduino/dp/B08HDK92MN
- L293D - H driver
- SRD-05VDC-SL-C Relay
- USBA Female coupler https://www.amazon.co.uk/MainCore-Adapter-Extender-Extension-Converter-black/dp/B07J2TJKNS
- USBA to TTL https://www.amazon.co.uk/PL2303TA-USB-TTL-RS232-Module-1pc/dp/B08HS9M3P9
Thank you everybody in advance for your help & support.