Controlling Arduino Uno using keyboard

Last week I bought the arduino starter kit and have finished the 15 beginner projects which included. Now that I'm a little more familiar with the system I want to make a very simplistic robot and was wondering if there was a way that I could write a code and import it to the arduino but then control it using my keyboard? Thank in advance

If you mean to control it with the keyboard of your PC then all you need is a program on the PC to send the data to the Arduino. This Python - Arduino demo may help to get you started.

It is also possible to get a keypad (usually just numbers) that can connect directly to an Arduino - but I don't have any experience of them.

...R

I have you tried linking a phone or tablet to a ardunio Via bluetooth ?

also I would suggest looking at this

Sorry for being unclear, I want to control it using my PC. SO you're saying that i dont need to purchase a host shield for this?

colinjalbert1:
Sorry for being unclear, I want to control it using my PC. SO you're saying that i dont need to purchase a host shield for this?

No. A USB host-shield is when you want to connect a USB device (such as a USB keyboard) to an Arduino - but I have no experience of using one.

...R

Hi,
I think you need to use the Serial Monitor in the IDE to send commands to your UNO.

for example;

http://arduinobasics.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/arduino-basics-simple-arduino-serial.html

Hope it helps, good to see you got the beginners projects done.

Tom..... :slight_smile: