convert manual transmission to (+ and - shifting)

Hello friends,
I want convert my manual car transmission to paddle sifter ( steering wheel sifter {+ and - change gear i mean} ) .
i buy 3 gear box dc motor 12 volt
2 of them for shifting
1 for clutch .
the system :
when push + button it must change gear to 2.3.4.5
when push - button it should back to 5.4.3.2.1 and 0 . for reserve we have separate button in different place
also before each change gear we need have clutch .

and when braking it must change gears to low ... one buy one for example: 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 .then 0 ..
for example :
when we drive with 5th gear in 120 km
we suddenly need to brake to zero speed ..so if transmission cant change gear to 0 we have accident
so we must programming it .
thank you for your help

To me the biggest obstacle is clutch feel. A driver will engage the clutch differently in different situations like an uphill launch compared to a flat surface or slow moving traffic. If you want the transmission to handle down shifts, while braking, automatically you'll need to control throttle too. You can't just grab a down shift and dump the clutch. You may end up pointed the wrong way. This is why we 'heel and toe' down shifts. This means a wired throttle so that it can operate independently of any driver throttle input.

Hopefully you don't intend to take this project onto public roadways without a few thousand hours of testing at a private track. I'm concerned for my safety.

yes thanks .
half clutch is a problem ...
can we programming half clutch ? and throttle control
some one help me for programming arduino uno

It will ultimately be cheaper, simpler and more reliable if you sell your existing car and buy one with automatic transmission.

Making a computer control a manual transmission might seem simple in the pub after a couple of pints and some sketches on a beer mat.

In reality I suspect it would be extraordinarily difficult to get it to work well - not least because you probably don't have test equipment like a rolling road dynamometer.

...R

Another way of putting it:

If you need to come here to ask our advice on this project, then you are almost certainly at least five years short of the concentrated experience necessary to undertake such a problem.

We are extremely reluctant to assist in projects aimed at self immolation.

And this definitely resembles one. :astonished:

the problem of automatic transmission is torque converter … .i want mechanical clutch
who knows what steps is for first
work with arduino i mean …let talk about programming arduino .
please help me

batuning:
the problem of automatic transmission is torque converter .. .i want mechanical clutch
who knows what steps is for first
work with arduino i mean ..let talk about programming arduino .
please help me

Read the earlier replies again - two or three times. Especially @Paul__B's comment about being 5 years short on experience.

If you really don't understand the problem of automating a mechanical clutch ask someone who has never driven a car to start away smoothly.

...R

I'm sorry for you .Paul__B
seems you have some problem with yourself
i asked a simple problem and ..every school boy can understand
please don't come here and suggest me give up ..its is my matter and my problem
..just say what i want
just say something about how to programming OK? don't care its a car or not ..just say how program shifting
if you don't help me i will find soon by myself . i already made by arduino some machines .i will ask some other friend ..so ,,be careful what you say and be polite .

batuning:
i asked a simple problem

No, you didn't. What you are trying to do is lightyears away from "simple" and you obviously don't want to believe that.

lg, couka

As said it is quite a complex project.

You will need Solenoids or actuators for the gearshifting.
You will need a Solenoid or actuator for the clutch.
You will need to code in an acceptable speed for which to engage and disengage the clutch. You will also need to know if the car is on a hill so you can change the speed of the clutch engagement (to avoid stalling when starting off) - also the speed for when the car is moving up a hill - need to shift quicker as the car's momentum will slow down faster between shifting, this will need to be done for different slopes (ie using a sensor).
and a whole lot of other things just to get it to a working prototype.

You need to think of all the possible scenarios and conditions the car could be in and develop and program for each.

PDUNZ:

I don't think you will be using a solenoid for the clutch.

PDUNZ:
As said it is quite a complex project.

You will need Solenoids or actuators for the gearshifting.
You will need to code in an acceptable speed for which to engage and disengage the clutch. You will also need to know if the car is on a hill so you can change the speed of the clutch engagement (to avoid stalling when starting off) - also the speed for when the car is moving up a hill - need to shift quicker as the car's momentum will slow down faster between shifting, this will need to be done for different slopes (ie using a sensor).
and a whole lot of other things just to get it to a working prototype.

You need to think of all the possible scenarios and conditions the car could be in and develop and program for each.

Thank you very much .

thank you once again
also play with engine RPM while down shifting ..and automatic down shifting while braking ..
the hardware is not complex ..
2 actuator s for transmission change gears .
1 actuator for clutch
1 step motor for throttle control ( rpm control )
and arduino UNO
and wiring
and change gear display
..but
how to program UNO
..what sketchs..

Start with Planning and Implementing a Program

You may also find some useful stuff in Stepper Motor Basics and in Simple Stepper Code

Also look through the Useful Links Thread

...R

Ok .
im try for it ,
and
if you know a sketch im happy to learn
thanks

batuning:
if you know a sketch im happy to learn

Let me know when you have tried and understood all the programs I have already provided links to.

...R

I would first instrument the car and see exactly what you do when you drive the car around. You need all this instrumentation anyway. At a minimum you need:

Clutch actuation
Vehicle speed
engine speed
initial gear
final gear

Get back to us next year after all this is working, and looking at the data will tell you what you need for your next steps.

THANKS
Vehicle speed
engine speed

i m not agree with you in this
because :
1- is difficult to know engine speed and Vehicle speed
2- no need i think…
while we braking and " heel and toe" for down shifting ,we never push gas pedal with counting and math …we just push a gas pedal a little , its enough for engine .no need know exactly and math .
for example :
,we have a " throttle actuator " for RPM control ,600 RMP higher before every change gear and downshift is OK for every situation .
and we must say to arduino :
:
you should do 600 RPM higher for this purpose …must :
5 degree or. etc … actuation

Heh, heh … :roll_eyes:

Sputter,,clunk,,"I should of used an automatic"??