Converting on IR code to another

Hello all,

I bough a multimedia interface form my car which haeve to allow to connect DVD/TV Tuner/Rear view camera, to my OEM navigation system RNS-E. This multimedia interface is reading the CAN-BUS and converting the signal into IR code in order to control the external devices (DVD/TV Tuner) directly by the navigation. Problem comes that this IR code is compatible only for one DVD player (Zemex DVD500u). It is really difficult to find such player and thats why it is guite expensive. My idea is to read this IR code and convert it to another. What do you think is this possible ? Do you have some better ideas.

Thanks in advance.

madracer4021: Problem comes that this IR code is compatible only for one DVD player (Zemex DVD500u). My idea is to read this IR code and convert it to another. What do you think is this possible ?

The first step is to identify the protocol and code of your DVD player. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/ is a good source of information and tools for this purpose. This could be the hardest step.

The second step is to recognize the code and the third step to emit the new IR code. There are a lot of projects which do this.

Michael

The IR code which is coming from the multimedia device is with NEC protocol. I took the IR codes for each controll function. Now I have to convert it to another ?

Using the IRremote or IRlib library & Arduino you should be able to record the IR signals coming from the Multimedia i/f.

Similarly, you can also record and decode the signals for the target device.

Once you have both sets of signals you can then write a simple Arduino sketch to continuously listen for a signal from the car and then relay the translated signal to your device.

IRremote has examples for reading and sending IR signals. You just need to tie the 2 together.

(Your only problem may be if the 2nd IR protocol is not supported by the library, but NEC definitely is )

================== For anyone interested in IR protocols – we have just launched a Crowdfunding campaign on IndieGoGo for AnalysIR – IR Decoder & Analyzer (Arduino & Raspberry Pi). Currently we support 17 IR protocols and are looking for more to add as part of the campaign. Suggestions Welcome!

You can find out more about the Campaign on http://bit.ly/1b7oZXH or Screenshot via www.AnalysIR.com

Thank you for the information.

I haven't received the DVD device with the IR remote yet and I don't know what protocol it will be. If it one which is not supported in Arduino IR library what my options are ?

If you read up on the IRremote library, you will see that it also captures in RAW mode.

So if it is not supported, you can just resend the RAW code, instead of the 'protocol' based code.

Probably a good idea to get your arduino & IR receiver set up to play with the IRremote library and then it will all become clear.

If you are having big problems, then you should look at our AnalysIR project which should appear in my signature, this decodes more protocols and displays & records whats happening on a nice GUI, but you will still need to use IRremote for your project.

If you still have problems with the DVD, capture the raw codes with IRremote or AnalysIR and send them to me in a message and I will have a quick look for you (We always want to find new IR protocols to add to AnalysIR).

PS: AnalysIR is featured on the Arduino blog this week.