Conveyor belt code

Hello guys

A conveyor belt can move at a linear speed between 4cm/s and 12cm/s and magnetic sensors are placed on the belt with a regular spacing of 2.5cm to measure the velocity, by generating a voltage pulse each time they pass through a gate. Write an Arduino script to estimate the speed of the belt by measuring the time between two consecutive pulses.

Can you help me guys?

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Is this a school/college/university project?

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

What model arduino will you be using?

Sorry but we are not here to write code, but help people learn and develop their own.
Have you written any code in an attempt to at least input signals from your belt to the arduino?

Tom..... :slight_smile:
PS I won't be able to reply until tomorrow, its nearly midnight here, Happy New Year.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html then look down to item #7 about how to post your code.
It will be formatted in a scrolling window that makes it easier to read.

Is this a school/college/university project?

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

What model arduino will you be using?

Sorry but we are not here to write code, but help people learn and develop their own.
Have you written any code in an attempt to at least input signals from your belt to the arduino?

Tom..... :slight_smile:
PS I won't be able to reply until tomorrow, its nearly midnight here, Happy New Year.

This is university project
I don't any experience in the Arduion program

(deleted)

King99_12:
Can you help me guys?

King99_12:

It's not a project to tackle with absolutely no Arduino experience: if I were you I'd start with the tutorials (which are also in the IDE) then have a look in the Playground for some ideas.

Start with something simple to read buttons. Please specify the magnetic sensor; e.g. reed contacts behave like buttons so any button example on the net will help you. Have a look at digitalRead().

When the first sensor is activated, store a time (look at the millis() function). When the next sensor is activated, get the time again; the difference in the two times is an indication for the speed and if you know the spacing between the two sensors you can calculate the speed.

King99_12:

So what do you have experience with? What do you study?

Can you solve the problem without an Arduino?

magnetic sensors are placed on the belt

sterretje:
Please specify the magnetic sensor; e.g. reed contacts

The wording's a bit ambiguous imo. It would be strange to put a multitude of sensors (eg as you say, reed switches) on the belt, since a) that's a cr@p load of sensors and b) the wiring's going to be fun. Surely the brief means there are magnets on the belt, and the sensor is in the gate?

spycatcher2k:
Then you need to but an Arduino, download the IDE, read and understand the supplied examples, then write the 'script' to do what you want. When is this assignment due?

It is due to next week

manor_royal:
It's not a project to tackle with absolutely no Arduino experience: if I were you I'd start with the tutorials (which are also in the IDE) then have a look in the Playground for some ideas.

thanks

sterretje:
Start with something simple to read buttons. Please specify the magnetic sensor; e.g. reed contacts behave like buttons so any button example on the net will help you. Have a look at digitalRead().

When the first sensor is activated, store a time (look at the millis() function). When the next sensor is activated, get the time again; the difference in the two times is an indication for the speed and if you know the spacing between the two sensors you can calculate the speed.
So what do you have experience with? What do you study?

can you write the full code?

I'm intrigued to know, as a bit of an educator myself, what kind of course this is for. I'm all for getting the student to do most of the work, but hey, to be called a lecturer or professor, you have to (by definition) do some lecturing or professing. Is there no Arduino teaching going on?

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
Sure, would I also get YOUR qualification?

You have a week to learn and understand the examples, as well as write and debug the code, as well as wire up the required circuit. I would ask your lecturer why they are only giving you a week to do this as it seams too short a time to learn, understand and implement the solution.

Thank you