Custom GUI to send data to ardunio

I want to send data to my arduino through an Gui and just set values like top speed,min speed,acceleration...etc in GUI.
So far i have seen that you can a Gui in java,python and serially send data to the arduino but you have to first upload a sketch which then works upon the data serially send.But i want that the user need not to open the arduino ide and see any type of codes and he just opens the Gui and sets the value and uploads it.so is there anyway i can upload a sketch from a custom Gui while the code works in back end while the user just only sets variable data in Gui and uploads it and don't need to see any code.
Thx,sorry for bad english.

There is no reason that you should not write a PC application that uploads a program to the Arduino without using the IDE. The IDE uses avrdude to load files on the Arduino which could be invoked by your application.

See using-avrdude for examples.

There is no reason that you should not write a PC application that uploads a program to the Arduino without using the IDE. The IDE uses avrdude to load files on the Arduino which could be invoked by your application.

There is no reason to compile and link a new sketch to set a few values. The GUI can send information to the Arduino to tell it to assign a value to a variable (as long, of course, as the Arduino is programmed to know how to do that).

as long, of course, as the Arduino is programmed to know how to do that

That is the crucial part.

s there anyway i can upload a sketch from a custom Gui while the code works in back end while the user just only sets variable data in Gui and uploads it and don't need to see any code

As I read it the OP want to allow users to upload a program to an Arduino using a GUI interface other than the IDE then use that interface to set parameters in the program on the Arduino, hence my suggestion to use avrdude to upload the program. Then, of course, the GUI could communicate with the program.

Summary : Clarification of the requirement needed.

yes Helibob is right,for serial communication u need atleast first to upload ur code once but the thing is that our users need to replace the ic so.....lets just say there is no sketch uploaded to arduino, i want the GUI to send the code without the user seeing the code in first place,so actually we are not setting values upon reading the data from serial...u can say we are just making a very simplistic code editor .. ? i hope i explained i think..

Anyways i think i will try the avrdude.i think it is what it is i am looking for..so thx UKHeliBob.... i will see if i can make it work..Also i think i can use this method with my java jframe GUI .. ?

ok so i need an AVRprogrammer for this...i think to bypass bootloader i guess....is there anyway i can just plug in the usb cable and upload the code from or set the values as explained above..the thing is we are using custom controller with the atmega chip combined with a motor driver so we dont want user to plug in an additional programmer..??

unkindled:
ok so i need an AVRprogrammer for this...i think to bypass bootloader i guess....

Uhm, no. Like said, the Arduino IDE uses avrdude as well. You only have to tell it to use (the right kind) of bootloader upload methode.

unkindled:
is there anyway i can just plug in the printer cable

Printer cable? ::slight_smile: That's going to be a tight fit. The Arduino uses a USB cable :wink:

That's going to be a thight fit.

A what?

Tight of course. Ducking auto-correct...

septillion:
Uhm, no. Like said, the Arduino IDE uses avrdude as well. You only have to tell it to use (the right kind) of bootloader upload methode.
Printer cable? ::slight_smile: That's going to be a tight fit. The Arduino uses a USB cable :wink:

sorry yeah usb cable XD i can't just find my printer cable lol must have mixed it..haha
ok so no extra hardware needed just need right bootloader upload method
does anyone have any example of someone using avrdude except thel ink helibob gave..could use some examples

If you turn on verbose output for uploading you can see what the IDE does. It does:
D:\DOCUMENTEN\Code\Arduino\arduino-1.6.4\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CD:\DOCUMENTEN\Code\Arduino\arduino-1.6.4\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM1 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\build6116152448626667833.tmp/sketch_apr28a.cpp.hex:i

Should give you a clue :slight_smile:

some links or examples would be nice !!