Custom RC

Hello Everyone,
I am relatively new to arduino, programming, microcontrollers, and everything else you fine people do here. I have been building an RC boat (sailboat) and need to control my boat with a remote contol. I would like to use something like a plane transmitter, such as this: I realize that this remote is way to decked out, but I just wanted an example. What I really need is:
A) to send input (some int) for the rudder
B) to send input (some int) for the mainsheet a remote
c) to send a HIGH/LOW state for the cannon (on/off)

So, I'm picturing to joystick levers and one button. I am not looking to buy a remote, but want to be pointed to:

A joystick lever
A transmitter/ reciever pair that Can satisfy the afore-outlined requirements, or: send 2 ints, one bool (P.S. sorry, I use C# alot, so, I guess the arduino equivalent.)
I have an arduino r3 uno board, and minimal experience. I know this is a tall order, but I would appreciate anyhelp I could get. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
John

If you have a regular RC transmitter and receiver you can program an Arduino to interpret the pulses that come from the receiver and which would normally go to the servos.

Alternatively you could use an Arduino with something like an nRF24L01+ transceiver at each end. I use a system like that for controlling model trains. You may want to use the high powered nRF24L01+ with external antenna for greater range.

I got my nRF24s working with this Tutorial

I suggest you use the TMRh20 version of the RF24 library - it solves some problems from the ManiacBug version

The pair of programs in this link may be useful.

...R

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated. Has anyone done this before?

WilkyRL:
Any help whatsoever would be appreciated. Has anyone done this before?

I thought I had provided some help in Reply #1 ?

If that was not helpful please explain what you want in more detail.

...R

I think you may be better off simply buying a remote (that comes with a receiver) off of amazon or some other site. it will most likely have greater range and would have ample options for input. they may be a bit more expensive but it may be easier to do the code if its only looking for inputs from the receiver.
Iv'e looked on amazon and found some decent looking controllers with receivers for around $50 (try looking for flysky fs-i6) but you might find better deals at a local hobby shop.
If you go with buying a controller you should look into pwm (pulse-width modulation) signals and how to interpret them with an arduino as this would be how you would control the rudder and the drive motor.

other wise id consider what robin2 suggested in there reply above.

P.S. -robin2 thanks for those links, it's given me some great ideas for a project i'm working on.