Debugging equipment- Looking for advice on which logic analyzer to get

Hi folks,

I am ready to get a new piece of equipment. A digital analyzer.
So far been using a storage oscilloscope, but the job can get a bit tedious.

I was thinking something along the lines of an HP 16xx Series, which would cover me for a few more years.
I see there are also a few "USB based" alternatives, like the "bus pirate", etc. but judging by the quality of some usb oscilloscopes, I am not quite sure I want to go that route.

Any advice?

I have this one on the way from Seeed Studio, $50 for up to 32 channel logic analyzer. 200Msps with 16 channels, 100Msps with 32 channels.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Open-Workbench-Logic-Sniffer-p-612.html?cPath=63_69

I don't have it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works.

I'm looking for one as well. It looks like the line from Saleae would be ideal for analyzing I2C, SPI, and old-school serial signals.

What I'd love to hear is how the $15 eBay clones compare? It looks like the software is free from Saleae, and I did watch one YouTube video where the guy was very happy with his clone. Though it's not clear with Saleae the eBay model is a clone of :wink:

I lean towards spending a little more money and buying the quality product from the folks who sell the real deal -- but the price difference is substantial. Is it possible that the $15 eBay version is just as useful as the "real" product from Saleae?

And if Saleae makes the most sense -- for the basic Arduino I2C/SPI/Serial analysis, which one will get the job done and not have me wishing I'd bought the next model up?

Also right now the Saleae website makes it look like all of their products are pre-order -- as if they have re-vamped their whole line?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Randy

Here are a couple of compelling reasons to go with Saleae over the eBay clones and the Open Workbench Logic Sniffer:

A good comparison of the two: Bot Thoughts: Logic Analyzer Shootout

A good reason not to buy an eBay clone (they are more counterfeits than clones): https://www.saleae.com/counterfeit

Unfortunately, none of the "current" Saleae units are available yet, but they say they should ship "by Sept 2014." They better get going :wink:

Randy

casemod:
Any advice?

What exactly do you want to do with it?

I just bought a Rigol DS1054Z and it can analyze Serial, I2C, SPI, etc., plus it's a decent little 4-channel 'scope and costs about the same as a decent Saleae device.

fungus:

casemod:
Any advice?

I just bought a Rigol DS1054Z and it can analyze Serial, I2C, SPI, etc., plus it's a decent little 4-channel 'scope and costs about the same as a decent Saleae device.

Add to that LCD's and memories, so a 16bit wide bus would be an advantage, as I plan to migrate to arm as time allows.
40MHz Sampling minimum. Real sampling not 50Mhz advertised with a 1ms buffer :wink:

FWIW (I'm really no expert), I've got one of these : http://www.ikalogic.com/ikalogic-products/scanalogic-2/

It helped me debug an assembly bit-bang to Neopixel sequence on a PIC with no trouble - it also decodes I2C, SPI, etc. and a whole host of other protocols, and also provides some basic signal generator outputs.

It was difficult to find the Saleae in the UK but this was readily available (I got mine here - http://www.technobotsonline.com/scanalogic-2-20mhz-logic-analyzer-and-signal-generator.html ) .....

It doesn't hit your 40MHz requirement, but may be useful for others .....

I can live with less than 40Mhz for the time being, but not 4 channels. The most I could debug would be a SPI.

I might get one of the 8 channel Saleae clones just to try, even if it doesn't fit the bill one can always have it ready for some work away from the lab.

Ill post back when I have some news.

I am actually surprised there isn't some open source version available for the STM32F103 or the Due

I am very, very satisfied with the Saleae 16 channel logic analyzer I have.
At $290.00 I believe it's best to stick with the company that put all the effort in designing it as with Arduinos.
I also use a simple 74LS688(s) to generate a 8/16 bit trigger for a scope.
Looking forward to receiving a 4 channel DS4034 digital storage scope by Rigol.

casemod:

fungus:

... LCD's and memories, so a 16bit wide bus would be an advantage, as I plan to migrate to arm as time allows.
40MHz Sampling minimum. Real sampling not 50Mhz advertised with a 1ms buffer :wink:

See....that's the sort of information that should have been in the first post.

LarryD:
I am very, very satisfied with the Saleae 16 channel logic analyzer I have.
At $290.00 I believe it's best to stick with the company that put all the effort in designing it as with Arduinos.
I also use a simple 74LS688(s) to generate a 8/16 bit trigger for a scope.
Looking forward to receiving a 4 channel DS4034 digital storage scope by Rigol.

I guess if you're buying $5000 'scopes then $290 is quite reasonable.

fungus:
See....that's the sort of information that should have been in the first post.

Quite true, I assumed the equipment being sold today was all capable of what I need or more. I only have experience with real lab equipment, had no idea about these low cost units.

Anyone has experience with the Saleae16 Logic16 100M model?