Designing a Diode and resistor tester

Hello all,
Below is the project i am working on, please help if you can
Designing a diode and resistor tester using MATLAB or Python as the GUI and Arduino as the hardware.

so far i have decided to uses a voltage divider circuit to test resistance.

To read a resistor value, it is best to drive it with a constant current so the voltage across it will be a linear proportion to its value.

1 Like

Just a go/nogo test, or a curve tracer? Is this a school assignment?

hi.
for diode testing a graphical curve tracer would be great but not necessary, a simple reverse and forward voltage output would suffice.
update: i have now decided to use a mux to accommodate range in the ohmmeter, this allows me not to edit the code according to different resistors
it is my final university project.
thanks

Um, not. Reverse breakdown voltages can be in the hundreds or thousands of volts.

That sounds rather trivial for a final uni project - is there more you havent told us?

1 Like

For ≈ $20 you can buy a commercial unit based on Arduino.

Google Arduino component tester.

You can use a H-bridge (normally used as a reversible motor driver) to reverse the current through a diode. Don't forget a current limiting resistor.

...I haven't completely thought this through but note that you're not reversing the voltage relative to the Arduino so you'll have to figure that out.

That's not necessary for a go-no-go check like you'd do with a multimeter.

1 Like

Design a meter that can test a diode junction and give the value of a resistor. Use the Arduino to be
the interface between MATLAB and the components being measured. Create soft keys in MATLAB to
perform these measurements. Use a germanium and silicon diode

Are university standards dropping? That sounds like a first year project... is electronics your Major?

1 Like

The thing is - it has already been done and the "ardutester" code project that @LarryD cites is mostly public domain and readily available.

So you have two choices - work with the current code and develop that in whatever way you need, or "re-invent the wheel" by yourself. In either case you may have to demonstrate to what extent it is your own work given the very well-known prior art. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes , I have one of these - it identifies the component type too - extremely clever would like to know how it’s done too !

If this is a University project , you’ll need to show your research , what measurement options were possible , which you decided on and why . This will involve a detailed look at the characteristic of the components and working out how to measure these parameters and have references for this .
I don’t like this type of questions on here , which IMO , shortcut this process .
University is to teach you research methods more than results, when later at work you’ll need to know how to investigate stuff as there won’t always be someone to ask , that person should become you .
Oh and ……You should also review what’s available commercially and what new benefit your design will have .
Sorry but my opinion

1 Like

great info. yes. i would like to to know how it is done. thanks

Yep , read my post again and start researching !

I can see this as a educational test/project its checking your programing and electronic skills.

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

What range of resistance?
What diode parameters, forward volt drop, go/nogo checking if diode short or open circuit?

Google;

arduino ohm meter

Goolge;

arduino diode tester

These will help you with the measurement method research @hammy has described.

Tom.... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

1 Like

Seems like a good place to start.

1 Like