Discontinue the UNO and deliver Leonardo's instead

Something that puzzles me completely is the continued interest in the UNO. I just wrote an Arduino book, and left the UNO out, I think it is obsolete. At school the same, I don't buy UNO's any longer, only Leo's. Why does the UNO still exist? It is such a weird board in 2021. Just to have dual Serial ports alone is one reason to get Leo's instead of UNO's. MIDI, GPS, Bluetooth, GSM, all pretty hard on an UNO.

The Uno is awesome! If people want it, why deprive them of it?

The Leonardo is nice too, but I mostly only use the ATmega32U4 boards when I need the native USB capability. The free hardware serial port is nice, but it's outweighted for me by the extra overhead and complexity from the USB stack when I don't actually need it, which is most of the time.

pert: If people want it, why deprive them of it?

Most of them have no idea, they just grab a starter kit, which delivers them a crappy UNO clone. Nobody I speak to buys an UNO on purpose. If they knew CH340 up front...... With Leo's CH340 is never an issue. Off topic: I am thinking to have an Arduino-bot post 100 scheduled topics the next 500 minutes... What an annoying 5 minute limit..... I'm punished for being a fast blind typer.

blnkjns: With Leo's CH340 is never an issue.

It's never an issue if you buy a real Uno from the Arduino Store either.

blnkjns: I am thinking to have an Arduino-bot post 100 scheduled topics the next 500 minutes.

I think it would be extremely difficult to come up with 83 legitimate unique posts and properly maintain all those threads. And if you can't manage all of that that, it would surely end in you getting banned.

blnkjns: What an annoying 5 minute limit..... I'm punished for being a fast blind typer.

You're far from the first to complain about it. Nobody here on the forum has the power to change this situation, so it's not really productive to talk about it.

Both the Leo and the UNO are BOTH in regular usage and each has enough difference to make them attractive for different usages. There are clones of both boards so nobody is forced to buy anything they don't want or need. Some of the clone UNO's have extra pinouts which the LEO does not and I have found those extra pins exceptionally useful in projects.

In seconding Per, a plethora of unproductive posts will almost certainly result in a BAN !

blnkjns:
Nobody I speak to buys an UNO on purpose

Maybe you’re mixing with the wrong people.

blnkjns: Nobody I speak to buys an UNO on purpose.

You might not speak to them, but hang around these forums for a while and you will see heaps of messages from people who have apparently bought UNOs.

blnkjns: Something that puzzles me completely is the continued interest in the UNO. I just wrote an Arduino book, and left the UNO out, I think it is obsolete.

Wow, I hope nobody buys it. That's like writing a cookbook and leaving out potatoes. (or fish, or whatever, insert pet peeve here)