DIY Drone parts

Hello all.

I am looking to create a semi-autonomous drone, and I am curious as to what I should use for motors. What is the necessary RPM for propellers? I need some that will be fast enough to actually work, precise enough for very fine adjustments, light and small enough to fit on a drone, and can fit some cheap propellers on the shaft without any hassle.

Where should I get propellers as well? The whole system ideally would have at least 10 pounds of lift on full power.

Thanks

You are on the wrong forum.

Check out an RC airplane forum and come back when you want to integrate some control systems into your drone.

Drones typically use different electronics than arduino users. Movement is controlled by a transmitter and receiver combination that is built for larger distances and better security than most other radios. A basic combination costs $120. Electronic speed controls (ESC) is used to control the motor, monitor the battery, and power the servos.

Henradrie:
You are on the wrong forum.

Check out an RC airplane forum and come back when you want to integrate some control systems into your drone.

Drones typically use different electronics than arduino users. Movement is controlled by a transmitter and receiver combination that is built for larger distances and better security than most other radios. A basic combination costs $120. Electronic speed controls (ESC) is used to control the motor, monitor the battery, and power the servos.

The way I am planning to do it will be a mid-point between a cheap indoor heli that uses infared, and an expensive drone. But the goal is to have full control and make the thing semi-autonomous

These motors might work

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-2601.html

You will probably need 1500 watts per motor for 4 motors or just over 6 horsepower. That's a lot of weight. Most RC airplanes don't weight that much.

Henradrie:
These motors might work

Himax Brushless Motors 500 Watts and Up

You will probably need 1500 watts per motor for 4 motors or just over 6 horsepower. That's a lot of weight. Most RC airplanes don't weight that much.

But if I made it like most RC planes, it wouldn't be fun. I'm planning to have it have the ability to carry stuff. Lots of stuff.

RC planes can carry stuff as well and do so much better than drones. They require about 1/4 the power and fly much faster.

If you want it to carry stuff then you need to spend the money to do it. What you are wanting to do requires much more power than you realize.

Henradrie:
RC planes can carry stuff as well and do so much better than drones. They require about 1/4 the power and fly much faster.

If you want it to carry stuff then you need to spend the money to do it. What you are wanting to do requires much more power than you realize.

I haven't thought of that. Thanks for the info

The whole system ideally would have at least 10 pounds of lift on full power.
Sounds like you mean "ability to carry ten pounds of cargo". For thrust you would take the "all up weight" (drone, batteries, and cargo) and multiply by 2 to get reasonable maneuverability. For that kind of total thrust you will probably want six or eight motors.

I am looking to create a semi-autonomous drone, and I am curious as to what I should use for motors.
Motors are rated in "KV" which is not kilovolts but "thousands of RPM per volt". You want to keep the propellor tips well below the speed of sound so smaller propellors use faster motors. For example 900KV motors are good for 10" propellors and 2000KV motors are good for 3" propellors. Motors are also designed for a maximum voltage. This is typically designated by how many 3.7V LiPo cells you can put in series: 1S, 2S, 3S up to abut 8S (29.6V). The higher the voltage the more current you can cram through the motor but If you use too high a voltage your motors are likely to overheat and die.

Where should I get propellers as well?
Get everything from eBay.com, Amazon.com, or Banggood.com.

You can check the specs of various commercial drones to see what combinations of battery, motor, and propellor they use.