DIY Metal detector with Arduino

Hi! During this pandemic with the lockdown, we will teach you how to make things with Arduino! If you have a small electronics kit that you’ve haven’t used in years or months, and you want to learn arduino, then here are quick guides!

You wouldn’t need any software, because we will use our Arduino for power.

But you will need the following items:

1: An Arduino UNO R3

2: Jumper wires

3: A serial cable or 9-volt battery adapter with battery

4: An LED

5: Breadboard (Medium or Large)

Start by connecting a red wire to 5V and a blue one to GND.
Hint:(5V and GND is in the pin headers labeled “POWER”)

Connect these wires to your small breadboard. If you have a big one, put connect them to the power buses with lines colored red and blue.

Next, get your LED but make sure it works. Put the long lead, the “cathode” on the row where the red wire is. Place the short lead “anode” into the 3rd row, not on the GND row. Put a wire on the row the anode was, and place another wire on the GND row. Once you do that, connect the two wires to a spoon or a fork and the LED should turn on!

Once you do that, connect the two wires to a spoon or a fork and the LED should turn on!

How does this device help you find the spoon or fork?

So you are teaching people to light an LED without any current limiting resistor. That is a bad thing to try and teach people. And I would have thought anti educational.

Hi!
I created a metal detector with an Arduino Uno. This is one of my first projects with an Arduino.
You can create one too!

Supplies:

.Breadboard (Any size or kind)

.Arduino Uno R3

.LED and wires

.Some metal things

Put 2 wires from 5V and GND on your Arduino's POWER pins to your breadboard. Next, connect an LED to 5V but not GND.

Next, connect 2 wires. One onto the LED and the other to GND.

THERE YOU HAVE IT! When the two wires touch a metal object, the LED turns on!

Does this device detect Covid-19?
If not, WTF is this post doing here?

(I think I’ve seen this BS somewhere else before.
Edit: ah yes, here)

Sure, the LED turns on - until it blows due to no current limit resistor.

Arduino is not even needed - in fact, is better leave it out so the power supply isn't blown when the LED fails (and shorts).

@jayden_liu_326, please do not cross-post. Threads merged.

What do you mean by "Cross post"?

It means you were posting the same garbage on two different subject forums (or twice on the same) and thereby potentially wasting more people's time attempting to counter your misinformation.

That's what it means! :cold_sweat:

If you have something to share, rather than a question, it belongs in the "Showcase" forum.

jayden_liu_326:
THERE YOU HAVE IT! When the two wires touch a metal object, the LED turns on!

Jokes belong in bar sport.

Name a conductor!
"Why, errrr.
Right! Wire!

Name a unit of resistance!
"Uummm"
Right! Ohm!

How old am I?
"You must be 42."
How did you know?
"My brother's 21 and he's only half nuts!"

aarg:
If you have something to share, rather than a question, it belongs in the "Showcase" forum.

Thanks for adding a positive comment, rather than those garbage people... Adding comments that are mean. I thought that this website is supposed to be nice.

You're not going to get nice when you suggest connecting an LED across power & Gnd with no resistor:

"Place the short lead "anode" into the 3rd row, not on the GND row. Put a wire on the row the anode was, and place another wire on the GND row. Once you do that, connect the two wires to a spoon or a fork and the LED should turn on!"

The LED will fail, and likely fail as a short circuit (vs an open circuit) causing further damage.

jayden_liu_326:
Thanks for adding a positive comment, rather than those garbage people... Adding comments that are mean. I thought that this website is supposed to be nice.

So now those who didn't like WASTING TIME on your stupid joke are garbage people?
Maybe it's not just the joke that's "challenged" or a waste of time.

It has recently been brought to my attention that the OP could best be described as being of tender years (Hey! I never had a chewy one, but a cliché’s a cliché).

Maybe we should tone-down the criticism.

(I genuinely thought the first post was a satire. I remember that Action Man (GI Joe) had a “mine detector” that operated on a similar principle, but at the time (about 50 years ago) LEDs were exotic and expensive, so used a tiny light bulb. Light bulbs don’t need a current-limiting resistor)

How many things besides metal conduct well enough to pass the test?

If the OP sees my comment, the OP will be older and perhaps a bit less frivolous.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
How does this device help you find the spoon or fork?

Can't you just shut up? Geez!

jayden_liu_326:
Can’t you just shut up? Geez!

I shut up on that one nearly seven weeks ago.
Check the dates.