Ebb and grow controller

Ebb and grow controller......
I have built one with 120v relays and float switches.
I would like to automate this with Arduino. Basically there is a 55gallon reservoir with a pump.
then a smaller reservoir with a second pump and float valves. The second reservoir maintains the full
water height by its size. So timer hits a cycle, if the top float is hanging it fills till it hits the top float.
wait 15 min then turn off cycle thus enabling the bottom float to now see a high condition and drain the system till the float goes low.
Here is an analog system using floats and relays Active Aqua Hydroponic Systems | Active Aqua
Ping me if anyone is interested in helping.

Kan You post a photo or make a pen and paper drawing of the stuff?

You bet… was actually trying to find a diagram that existed but its down now.

What I understand from your description:
The 2nd reservoir is normally empty until an unknown time period elapses.
A pump starts, filling the reservoir until the high level switch is made.
A 15 min timer starts.
When the 15 min timer expires, a 2nd pump starts draining the reservoir until the low level switch breaks.
The first timer starts.
Correct? Sounds like a classic state machine.

You got it ........ I have a diagram here " ebb — Postimages (postimg.cc) " let me know if you can see it. having image issues :wink: I want to also add an ALL STOP float above the top level float incase of failed logic emergency's "Code dumb thumbs"

for features I would like to add email or preferably text notifications of successful cycles.
Already built ECC guage but trying to learn how to send serial output to a web page or app.
Very new to this.

Tell more about the sensors, the floats You use. This ought to be easily solved by some relays and no need for a microcontroller.

tconners:
for features I would like to add email or preferably text notifications of successful cycles.
Already built ECC guage but trying to learn how to send serial output to a web page or app.
Very new to this.

Okey. I got Your need for a controller.

Great ....... oh also bought this as I think it will be easier that building for the price
Amazon.com: Iot Relay - Enclosed High-power Power Relay for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, PIC or Wifi, Relay Shield: Electronics
Think it will fit in?

It looks good. Get hold of the interface to the controller, GND, digital control etc.

Does that relay have separate channels for the 2 pumps?

OP's picture

you could put your 5 gal under the table and install an auto-siphon. eliminate 1 pump also prevent flooding.

"you could put your 5 gal under the table and install an auto-siphon. eliminate 1 pump also prevent flooding."

Cant do that due to height requirements in the room. Everything must sit on the floor.

" Get hold of the interface to the controller, GND, digital control etc.."

when you say get ahold of the interface to the controller , do you mean cable between this relay box and
persay a UNO?

from amazon :
Version 2 (now shipping) has 4 outlets.
3 are controlled, one is always ON.
The three are controlled by one bit. HIGH= two NO outlets powered, LOW = one NC outlet powered.

There's only one large relay inside, so you can't control the 4 outlets separately. Hope this explains it better

===========================

this is not going to work for this project as supplied.

tconners:
"you could put your 5 gal under the table and install an auto-siphon. eliminate 1 pump also prevent flooding."

Cant do that due to height requirements in the room. Everything must sit on the floor.

" Get hold of the interface to the controller, GND, digital control etc.."

when you say get ahold of the interface to the controller , do you mean cable between this relay box and
persay a UNO?

I think that was my idea. Use stuff that can be used instead of replacing motor controller, relays etc