EEG Epoc headset to Arduino setup

Hi,

We are new to Arduino and my daughter is getting what I loosely describe as help from me with a design project at school. I would like some assistance to determine if we are heading in the right direction and whether we are being naive in thinking we can get this done in a reasonable time given a lack of Arduino experience.

We have access to an Emotive Epic EEG headset and are looking to send cognitive commands (8 initially) mapped with the accompanying Emokey software to give key basic commands output from the PC ( eg "Y", "N" etc). We want to send the key commands via usb to the serial port on an Arduino Uno with a connected 16 X 2 LCD on a wing (?) shield and speech synthesis shield with connected speaker. We are looking to have simultaneous LCD messages and voice emitted tied to the individual key commands. I dug around but I have seen little on connecting an Epoc to an Arduino but a YouTube video explaining how to use an Epoc with an IR remote to control a tv showed the connection possible. We can see the ability to activate multiple outputs code in this forum and think that is possible. The libraries for the LCD and speech synthesis are available and we think the "wiring" of the Arduino is relatively straightforward ( ??).

The questions are:

"Does this make sense and seem relatively straightforward or is it a bit of a nightmare?"

1. Is there a code compiler for newbies will bring these elements together that will help to avoid hours of frustration in debugging ?

3.Is the serial port capable of taking multiple consecutive commands and activating them on the Arduino in sequence or does each need to be applied on the Arduino then cleared before the next can be applied?

We appreciate any guidance you might have to avoid stupid pitfalls. Thanks

scamp:
Hi,

We are new to Arduino and my daughter is getting what I loosely describe as help from me with a design project at school. I would like some assistance to determine if we are heading in the right direction and whether we are being naive in thinking we can get this done in a reasonable time given a lack of Arduino experience.

We have access to an Emotive Epic EEG headset and are looking to send cognitive commands (8 initially) mapped with the accompanying Emokey software to give key basic commands output from the PC ( eg "Y", "N" etc). We want to send the key commands via usb to the serial port on an Arduino Uno with a connected 16 X 2 LCD on a wing (?) shield and speech synthesis shield with connected speaker. We are looking to have simultaneous LCD messages and voice emitted tied to the individual key commands. I dug around but I have seen little on connecting an Epoc to an Arduino but a YouTube video explaining how to use an Epoc with an IR remote to control a tv showed the connection possible. We can see the ability to activate multiple outputs code in this forum and think that is possible. The libraries for the LCD and speech synthesis are available and we think the "wiring" of the Arduino is relatively straightforward ( ??).

The questions are:

"Does this make sense and seem relatively straightforward or is it a bit of a nightmare?"

1. Is there a code compiler for newbies will bring these elements together that will help to avoid hours of frustration in debugging ?

3.Is the serial port capable of taking multiple consecutive commands and activating them on the Arduino in sequence or does each need to be applied on the Arduino then cleared before the next can be applied?

We appreciate any guidance you might have to avoid stupid pitfalls. Thanks

This sounds like a pretty heavy task for a school project and beginners.
A lot of beginners here struggle to get LEDs blinking without using the delay() function.

I thought it was, but will persist hopefully with assistance in areas of difficulty. Are there folks whom you can pay to compile the code required?

There is gigs and collab section here if you want to post a paying job.

That being said..

What is deadline you want to meet?

Serial data comes in 1 character at a time. And you (normally) collect your 'data' (mostly defined by a beginning and end packet/character.. so you know the data transmission is complete... and you can start parsing your data to do whatever it is its supposed to do)

Just so I'm clear..

The headset is configured with some software to recognize these 'movements/actions' and send out the matching 'value/data'.... to wherever. Is this correct?

How is the headset connected to the PC? I'm not clear on this? Is it a direct USB connection form headset to PC after configuration?

Without the Arduino.... how would you know this device is working properly? (as in.. what default way is given for you to test this.. and ensure the correct data is being 'sent'?)

That is your first step.. either find out or describe how the headset outputs data.

IMHO... once you can trap/collect this data and get it parsed into the Arduino/sketch (code).. you can do/trigger whatever you want without much issue.

Seems like this has been around and used with Arduino since 2010!!! I'm sure you can find something out there..

Some have used a USB Host shield to connect the headset directly to the Arduino...(or suggested in doing so)

Others have used Processing to as the 'go between' from the Headset >> PC >> Arduino

many more links to read p on too..

Thanks XL97 for the reply and research you have done.

You are right it has been around for a while, and I have dug through the stuff you have plus more, however, a lot has improved at the Emotiv end in the interface.

What is deadline you want to meet?

A couple of weeks or better

Serial data comes in 1 character at a time. And you (normally) collect your 'data' (mostly defined by a beginning and end packet/character.. so you know the data transmission is complete... and you can start parsing your data to do whatever it is its supposed to do)

Just so I'm clear..

The headset is configured with some software to recognize these 'movements/actions' and send out the matching 'value/data'.... to wherever. Is this correct?

YES

How is the headset connected to the PC? I'm not clear on this? Is it a direct USB connection form headset to PC after configuration?

Essentially the headset connects to the PC via a supplied BT dongle where the Emotiv software maps
the commands which can then be applied as a keystroke etc.
This is demonstrated from 14.30 on Controlling my TV with my BRAIN, Emotiv Epoc, and Arduino Tutorial - YouTube

Without the Arduino.... how would you know this device is working properly? (as in.. what default way is given for you to test this.. and ensure the correct data is being 'sent'?)
PC software

That is your first step.. either find out or describe how the headset outputs data.

See above YT vid

IMHO... once you can trap/collect this data and get it parsed into the Arduino/sketch (code).. you can do/trigger whatever you want without much issue.
That is good to know.

I will head down the Gig route.

Thanks again.