Error Compiling for any esp8266 board

Hi,

I am having error on compiling for any esp8266 board, OS is WIN10, Arduino Ver 1.8.3. Followed all instructions for 8266 support.

getting following error.

" No valid hardware definitions found in folder esp8266com.
WARNING: Error loading hardware folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\esp8266com"

When you encounter an error you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button. Paste the error in a message here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

Try this:

• Delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\esp8266com. Please be very careful when deleting things on your computer. When in doubt, back up!
  • Restart the Arduino IDE
  • Try compiling again.

Which instructions did you follow ? (provide link)

These are the ones I have always used and they always work here on multiple windows OS.

Hi Pert,

Sorry for being late at checking the reply, was traveling and compiling problem is only with my home computer while on my laptop everything works fine. Please see the error below

Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 10), Board: "SparkFun ESP8266 Thing, 80 MHz, 115200"

Board thing (platform esp8266, package esp8266) is unknown

Error compiling for board SparkFun ESP8266 Thing.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

here is what I have done.

1- deleted "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\esp8266com" restarted arduino IDE, also tried restarting computer and compiling again.

2- Followed instructions on " ESP8266 Thing Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com " as per suggestions from ballscrewbob, with no luck in making it work.

Thanks for the help.

Best Regards

This error is caused by having multiple versions of the ESP8266 core for Arduino installed. This commonly happens when you upgrade to a new version via Boards Manager and the Arduino IDE fails to completely remove the version you're upgrading from.

Try this:

• Click the link following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file. This will open the Arduino15 folder.
  • Navigate to packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266
  • You will see two folders named with different versions. Delete the folder with the older version. Please be very careful when deleting things on your computer. When in doubt back up!
  • Restart the Arduino IDE if it's running.

Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Fact that it works on one computer and not the other would suggest an actual issue with a computer rather than an IDE / board package.

Ensure you are using USB 2.0 ports.
Turn off any security related software (for testing only).
Turn off any power saving options (for testing only).
Turn on VERBOSE in the IDE for the UPLOAD and copy and paste the resulting output here (make sure it is between code tags ( </> ) or attached as a txt file.

pert:
This error is caused by having multiple versions of the ESP8266 core for Arduino installed. This commonly happens when you upgrade to a new version via Boards Manager and the Arduino IDE fails to completely remove the version you're upgrading from.

Try this:

• Click the link following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file. This will open the Arduino15 folder.
  • Navigate to packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266
  • You will see two folders named with different versions. Delete the folder with the older version. Please be very careful when deleting things on your computer. When in doubt back up!
  • Restart the Arduino IDE if it's running.

Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks a lot this advise did work perfectly and I found three folders with diff. versions kept the latest and deleted the older ones.restarted the IDE and compiling was a success without any errors.

Thanks and Best Regards

Thank you for this, it just saved me a whoe buch of looking and trying :slight_smile:

For what its worth I wanted to add that I tried firstly REMANING the second older version and yep, it didnt sesolve the issue, so when it was aid DELETE, it MEANS DELETE.

Error goes away

Thanks again

Gary

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
Per

I am posting here because of a similar problem but without being resolved by the above solution. I have looked at many posts on this subject but so far have failed to resolve my particular issue

Same compile error for two different ESP8266 boards

On an imac running Mojave 10.14.6
Removed Arduino15 in its entirety
Deleted everything I could see “arduino”
Reloaded Latest IDE 1.18.12
Added additional boards with https://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
Boards showing, Port showing correctly
IDE working correctly with Pro Mini running various sketches
Tried with both a Wemos D1 Mini and ESP-01S
Tried both the above on a Windows Laptop and both will compile and run Arduino using same breadboard setup and same USB leads
Have checked the Arduino15 package at packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266 and I have only one folder 2.6.3, the latest ESP8266 package .

I am concluding from the above there is something corrupted in the way the IDE has loaded on the Mac because my attempts at a complete removal have failed.

I hope I have included enough information.
Please can anyone help?

ESP8266 Compile Error.pdf (27.4 KB)

ESP8266 Zip Library Error.pdf (26.9 KB)

fork/exec /Users/patrickpuxley/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/
python3/3.7.2-post1/python3: no such file or directory

That is a completely different error. The problem is the ESP8266 platform has a tool dependency on Python 3, but rather than installing a dedicated copy of Python 3 with the package, the ESP8266 platform developers assume you have Python 3 already installed at /usr/local/bin/python3. /Users/patrickpuxley/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/
python3/3.7.2-post1/python3 is just a symlink to that location. So either you have Python 3 installed somewhere else, like /usr/bin/python3, or maybe you don’t have Python 3 installed at all. If the former, you need to modify the symlink, as described here. If the latter, you need to install Python (and possibly modify the symlink as well if it was installed to a location other than /usr/local/bin/python3.

More information:
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/6931

Thank you for your response. Firstly I have just within the last couple of minutes got it running. I did another complete uninstall, (well, as complete as I know how). Then reinstalled and in desperation thought I would try an earlier version of the ESP8266 community when I installed it on the boards manager. And it worked. I can now run simple sketches on both. I then updated to the latest version and it still works
I still get the invalid library error, but will see what happens when I try to run more complicated sketches.

So, Im sorted for the time being thank you