ESP8266 commercial application - mDNS alternatives?

Hi, I want to use the esp8266 in something I will sell to other people. Ok, so mDNS just sucks, doesn’t work on windows 10 or android. BOOM! thats dead. I wanted to use wifimanager library, but its not exactly something for this problem and I can’t figure out how to set it up. I would use static ip method but I would have to hard code something specific for one computer, right?

Whats an easy thing i can do here? All i want is to connect to the esp8266 and serve up a webpage without any config.

Thanks!

Post the question in Gigs and Colaboration. You can ask moderator to move this topic.
Helpers are working for free in this section in order to help newbies to get started, not to feed commercial interests.

cult_cages:
Hi, I want to use the esp8266 in something I will sell to other people. Ok, so mDNS just sucks, doesn't work on windows 10 or android. BOOM! thats dead. I wanted to use wifimanager library, but its not exactly something for this problem and I can't figure out how to set it up. I would use static ip method but I would have to hard code something specific for one computer, right?

Whats an easy thing i can do here? All i want is to connect to the esp8266 and serve up a webpage without any config.

Thanks!

mDNS works just fine on an ESP8266 in Win10 (no modifications/code needed).
Don't forget MDNS.update() in loop if you're using both AP and STA.
Android does AFAIK not have mDNS.
I program a static IP address in my setup.
Numbers above ~30 are rarely a problem.
Leo..

If you are going to sell the device then I don't see how you can use a static IP address because you don't know anything about the subnet that the purchaser will be connecting it to, so you can't include a static IP address. The best you can do is include something that allows the user to set their own static IP address, whether this works depends on the knowledge of the user.

"All i want is to connect to the esp8266 and serve up a webpage without any config."

You might want to expand on that a little. Are you expecting to "push" something into a connected client?

Perry, perrybebbington - I don't know about subnets yet. I'm doing allot of work here -3D printing, laser cutting, websites. I'm designing stuff that has a godzillion revisions and just want a solution here. How can i get a customer to set the ip address?

Zoomkat - I have a webpage with on/off switches for an led array. I put it in the spiffs. So when they go to the ip address a function in Arduino sends the html to them. I"m not doing any POST methods.

Railroader - I"m not surprised you would say that. I knew someone would. I just want to say that I"m trying to expand the reach of these devices so other people find them interesting.

Wawa - I'm not 100% sure but I believe your misleading me. I have to hardcode information about the network to set a static ip, which isn't going to work for a product your selling... And mDNS did not work on my windows 10 machine.

Guys, this is a failing if i can't turn these development boards into a product. I wasn't expecting this.

I don't know about subnets yet.

At the end of your broadband you have a router. When you connect something to the network the router (usually) uses something called DHCP to give you an IP address. The IP address will be from some range of available IP addresses, for example mine are 192.168.2.0 to 192.168.2.255, that range is the subnet. If you set a static IP address it must be in the same range and it must be configured in the router so that the router does not give it to some other device when asked for an IP address. Different routers will have different subnets for all sorts of reasons beyond your control.

How can i get a customer to set the ip address?

That question is too difficult to answer simply. You need some kind of interface so they can enter it, could be a keypad, could be a web page. They also need to know how to find an IP address that is not in their DHCP range, that is way beyond what I can explain here, sorry.

All assuming of course that I have not misunderstood your question, which is possible. I'm sorry if I've given you problems without a solution, but if you don't know it's a problem now you'll find out later anyway when it's much harder to fix.

"All i want is to connect to the esp8266 and serve up a webpage without any config."

Cqn you explain how/where the wsp8266 will be in the scheme of things? If it is to serve up a web page, then you might need to incorporate a dynamic IP server/service and have a distinctive domain name for each device you produce. This is somewhat the way the Foscam internet cams work. Each cam is supplied with a unique url which is used with the Foscam dynamic IP server. There is setup to do on the home network to access it from the outside internet. If your device is to be used inside a router network, the you should be able to just use an assigned lan IP address. Not enough is known about your product to provide specific info related to it.

Thanks for the responses and explaining the subnet. So i guess i can't set a static ip.

I'll go ahead and explain my product. Its just an array of leds in a 3d printed box that will go inside a bird cage. https://youtu.be/0KXXcGxbX9w you switch it on and off with buttons on a webpage.

zoomkat - thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking i will look like an amateur working like a pro. I'll probably look into making an app if I can't get it. Just seems odd cause wifimanager library is almost what i need. A login page to set the credentials.

Well i figured out a soft ap has a default ip address. problem solved!