ESP8266 library error code

I received this error code when trying to upload a demo sketch to the ESP8266:

Arduino: 1.8.15 (Mac OS X), Board: "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module), 80 MHz, Flash, Disabled (new aborts on oom), Disabled, All SSL ciphers (most compatible), 32KB cache + 32KB IRAM (balanced), Use pgm_read macros for IRAM/PROGMEM, 4MB (FS:2MB OTA:~1019KB), 2, v2 Lower Memory, Disabled, None, Only Sketch, 115200"
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _getentropy
Referenced from: /Users/tomhudson/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
dyld: Symbol not found: _getentropy
Referenced from: /Users/tomhudson/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
signal: trace/BPT trap
/Users/tomhudson/Desktop/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 255
Error compiling for board NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module).
This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I'm not entirely sure what this means but I think it is a problem with the library versions between my OS and the blob my Arduino downloaded. Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I was thinking if I could flip the system to python3 that could work but I have no idea how to do that. Appreciate any response given

Please post the sketch that you are trying to upload

Do simple sketches such as Blink upload OK ?

void setup()
{
  pinMode(0, OUTPUT);
}
void loop()
{
  digitalWrite(0, HIGH);
  delay(500);
  digitalWrite(0, LOW);
  delay(500);
}

Just this demo blink sketch that I tried to upload then I got that error, I can use the ESP8266 fine with my windows but there is something about my MacBook Pro that doesn't wanna upload it

Did you try a bit of Googling? esp _getentropy - Google Search

Plenty hits, below one seems to have a solution: Error compiling for board NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module) - #6 by obletihucp

I did and it led me back to a previous GitHub file I had looked at to try and find a solution, it just baffles me because it works fine on my windows but not my Mac. As I listed above I think its down to the ESP library version but I wanted to be sure because I think it could the IDE itself and the version its on. It may also be the Mac OS as well but I think if I try and get a previous library which is more compatible with my older Mac it should be ok in theory

Hi @tommyboy150. Which version of macOS are you using?

That would be version 10.11.6

I am almost certain its to do with a conflict between the update of the esp boards and my software because my brand new windows can work with my esp board fine but my Mac can't. I just wanted to make sure

I think it is an incompatibility between the version of the esp8266 boards platform you're using and the version of macOS you're using, as reported here:

The ideal solution would be for you to update your macOS version.

I understand that may not be possible if your hardware does not support the update. In this case, the solution will be to find the newest compatible version of the esp8266 boards platform. The rude fellow who submitted that report made the rather large update of the esp8266 boards platform from 2.3.0 to 2.7.4. So we know that the incompatibility was introduced somewhere between those two versions, but not exactly which release in that range was the one. My research makes me suspicious that 2.6.0 is the breaking point because it was here that the switch was made to using a python3 tool installed by the Boards Manager installation of the platform. Before that, the platform assumed Python would be pre-installed on the user's system. You can try the last version before that change: 2.5.2. Instructions below:

1. Select Tools > Board > Boards Manager from the Arduino IDE's menus.
  2. Wait for the updates to finish.
  3. Scroll down through the list of boards platforms until you see "esp8266 by ESP8266 Community". Click on it.
  4. From the dropdown version menu, select "2.5.2".
  5. Click the Update button.
  6. Wait for the update to finish.
  7. Click the Close button.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.