ESP8266 Not getting recognized by PC

Hi everyone. I just got some ESP8266 E-12's for an Amazon Alexa project and I can't even get them to turn on. The one LED on the board blinks for a split second and then does nothing unless I disconnect it and reconnect it to power. The wiring is as follows

GND = GND VCC = 3.3V TXD0 = RX RXT0 = TX EN = 3.3V GPIO15 = GND

I tried with my FTDI breakout and my Arduino UNO with the chip taken out, both giving the same results. I'm stuck. Arduino IDE gives this when trying to upload:

error: espcomm_open failed error: espcomm_upload_mem failed error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

and ESPlorer doesn't see it. Thanks in advance.

First of all I would suggest getting a breakout board for it if you're dealing with the module itself.

Now to the operation:

• I use this cable but FTDI should work too.
  • In order to upload code you need to pull CHPD high And GPIO15 to GND.
  • Before you press Upload you need to pull GPIO0 to GND, and while holding it to GND, pull RESET to GND then release GPIO0. This enables the bootloader. It's easier to do this with pushbutton
  • I would suggest reading through Adafruit's HUZZAH Breakout tutorial. It's basically the ESP-12 with buttons on it, very minimal.

I'm waiting on a breakout board in the mail but I want to try it now because I have no patients haha. I pull GPIO0 to GND and then I connect RST to GND. As soon as I do that I don't even get a flash when the board boots. If I take the RST away from GND the board goes back to how it was. Of course, the fancy HUZZAH board is out of stock.

The trick is you have to set GPIO0 to GND, tap RESET to GND, then release GPIO0 all shortly before the Arduino IDE upload status bar finishes. You also need to download ESP8266 from Boards Manager.

The blue LED is connected to GPIO2 and blinks whenever the module resets.

Okay so some progress. Now it says

Uploading 226352 bytes from F:\Temp\build31aa1fdf70b4d371c1eb6dc65a54dfac.tmp/Blink.ino.bin to flash at 0x00000000

in the orange at the bottom. I'm trying to upload the blink example for the esp8266. After getting the stuff in the orange it says done uploading and after a reset the led just remains lit. I'm so confused.

What pin did you use for the LED? Pin 13 (default Arduino LED) won't work. Also, pin mappings vary across different development boards. For a standalone ESP the Arduino pin numbers should match the GPIO number on the ESP. So to control the blue LED on the module, use pin 2.

I used boards manager under tools and added esp8266. Then I set the board to that and then went to example for blinking on this board. Heres the code for it.

/* ESP8266 Blink by Simon Peter Blink the blue LED on the ESP-01 module This example code is in the public domain

The blue LED on the ESP-01 module is connected to GPIO1 (which is also the TXD pin; so we cannot use Serial.print() at the same time)

Note that this sketch uses LED_BUILTIN to find the pin with the internal LED */

void setup() { pinMode(, OUTPUT); // Initialize the LED_BUILTIN pin as an output }

// the loop function runs over and over again forever void loop() { digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW); // Turn the LED on (Note that LOW is the voltage level // but actually the LED is on; this is because // it is acive low on the ESP-01) delay(1000); // Wait for a second digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH); // Turn the LED off by making the voltage HIGH delay(2000); // Wait for two seconds (to demonstrate the active low LED) }

I wouldn't use the ESP-01 or the LED_BUILTIN. Use ESP-12E (NodeMCU) and pin 2 for the LED.

Didn't make a difference.

I don't know what I did but it's working now. Thank you so much! :)