ESP8266 problems

Hello

I'm having lots of problems with the ESP8266-01 WiFi module. I have tried dozens of configurations of hardware and software and I can't get the Arduino Uno to connect to the ESP8266. It comes back with basically three different errors:

1. ESP8266.h doesn't exist. - Even though when I open the folder, there it is.
  2. ESP8266.h has multiple copies. - Only one in the folder.
  3. Timed out trying to receive the headers. - I get this even trying to load a blank sketch like a couple places online suggested.

I have used resisters. Not used resisters. RX to RX and TX to TX. RX to TX and TX to RX. Tied the Uno's reset to ground. Let it float. CH-PO to high, low and float. I've loaded probably a dozen different libraries and let Arduino IDE install them and installed them through the terminal program. Some I have copied/pasted into files and placed them where they go. I have configured the IDE so many times and ways, I've forgotten the default settings.

Every site says they are very easy to use. Do this, setup that. Type AT and it returns OK. Nope. Won't even load. I've been at it for three weeks and nothing works. I'm using Arduino 1.8.9 on MacOS. I'm about ready to give up on it ever working. That will mean five projects so far that will have to be scrapped since they need wireless to work correctly. This is my last hope of getting it to work. Please help if you can.

Snaresman:
I'm having lots of problems with the ESP8266-01 WiFi module. I have tried dozens of configurations of hardware and software and I can't get the Arduino Uno to connect to the ESP8266.

1. Does your UNO work alone? Can you upload Blink program?

2. Does your ESP8266 (NodeMCU) work alone? Can you upload Blink program?

3. Can you connect your ESP8266 WiFi with your hotspots (WiFi Base)?

4. Do you want to send data from UNO to ESP8266? If yes, which communication (UART, I2C or SPI) protocol you want use.

what's connected to your arduino uno,

why not switch to wemos d1 mini and connect your peripherals there

alternatively,

esp 01 can run alone, with 4 GPIOs

So you want to connect your ESP-01 to your Uno,
Lets say that’s all you have an Uno and a ESP-01 and the ESP-01 only has the original firmware on it.
-first upload Blink to your Uno (with the ESP-01 disconnected)
-Now connect the RX <-> RX & TX <-> TX so the USB port can access the ESP-01 (as long as the UNO has a sketch running that doesn’t use the Serial Port this will work) Be sure to use a voltage divider on the RX pin of the ESP-01 Always ! so the

• Open the Serial monitor and change lineending to CR & NL and set the BAUD-rate to 115200 and type 'AT"
    if that doesn’t work try the BAUD rate at 9600 and again type AT.

Check out this tutorial. if you want to upload other original firmware, though i recommend uploading your own sketches (firmware) onto the ESP-01
Anyway start with this.

Snaresman:
2) ESP8266.h has multiple copies. - Only one in the folder.

That's not an error, it's a warning. The warning should tell you where those multiple installations are located on your computer.

GolamMostafa:
2. Does your ESP8266 (NodeMCU) work alone? Can you upload Blink program?

Don't do that! It will erase the AT firmware from the ESP-01 and then you have a real nightmare trying to flash the firmware to it again.

pert:
Don't do that! It will erase the AT firmware from the ESP-01 and then you have a real nightmare trying to flash the firmware to it again.

It's not that hard.. Did you have a nightmare about it ?

Yes, my UNO does work alone. I uploaded “Blink” and it works without the ESP8266

I don’t know if my ESP8266 works alone or not. I don’t have the adaptor to go from serial to TTL.

The ESP8266 doesn’t connect to my WiFi, unless it doesn’t show a name. It looks like all the usual connections to my WiFi.

I’d like to send info between the UNO and ESP8266 with I2C, but it’s hooked direct at this time to the TX and RX pins of the UNO.

Presently, just the ESP8266 is hooked to the UNO.

I’ll look into the wemos d1 mini.

I disconnected the ESP and uploaded “Blink”. Hooked the RX to RX and TX to TX like you said. The serial monitor doesn’t show anything at 115200 or 9600 baud. The red light is on the ESP, but that’s all. Blink is still running.

When I get the warning about multiple files, it stops loading the sketch.

I want to be able to send the data from the Arduino through the ESP to WiFi. My macOS then receives it and logs it into a file and analyses it from there. Eventually I want to monitor data from 4+ different projects and let the macOS analyze and store the data. For now, I need to be able to get the ESP to connect to the WiFi so I can start sending the data through it.

I will look at the link that was provided in answer #3.

I disconnected the ESP and uploaded "Blink". Hooked the RX to RX and TX to TX like you said. The serial monitor doesn't show anything at 115200 or 9600 baud. The red light is on the ESP, but that's all. Blink is still running.

so that is Pin 1 on the UNO (TX->) to Pin 2 on the ESP-01 (GPIO1 TXD) and pin 0 on the UNO (RX<-) to pin 7 on the ESP-01 (GPIO3 RXD) Pins 8, 6 & 4 of the ESP-01 are all pulled HIGH
Then if you type AT (with line ending to both) it still shows nothing on either BAUD rates ?

then either you have an empty ESP or it contains some other firmware that i haven't heard about,
Well no harm done, then you'll either have to try and upload a firmware version, it is tricky it took me a while, or you could forget about the original firmware (which is usually what you'll end up doing in the end anyway) and start uploading a sketch to the ESP-01. you would anyway have to put it in flash-mode by pulling pin 5 LOW and reset the module (by either pulling pin 8 or 6 or 4 low) and install the ESP-core and you can upload programs using the Arduino IDE to do all the things you want a much more practical method then using the pre-installed (or any other ) firmware.

I did not have reset tied high, but I still get the same thing. Nothing. I hooked up a brand new ESP and it's the same thing. The UNO RX light does flash when I send the AT command. Also, I get the same if the UNO reset is tied low or floating. I loaded a blank sketch into the UNO before testing the new ESP.

Do you know where I can find a sketch to load into the ESP with directions on how to do it?

I appreciate everyone's help.

This is a decent tutorial. Still kep in mind you should have a 'firmware' version of some type on your ESP, they are nearly always sent loaded. Keep trying to get a response from Typing 'AT' in the serial monitor to verify you have the connections correct.

I'm looking up the site you mentioned, between internet outages.

This is the command and how to connect arduino to esp8266