ESPTOOL not found

Hello,
Arduino IDE worked fine for me more then 2 years. Last week I updated to 1.8.9 and that was it.

Meanwhile I tried new windows installations and .zip versions.
I do get permanently "SPIFFS ERROR: esptool not found" on sketch uploads ... on all trials.

Most likely I messed it up, but ... how can I get out of this?

• How is the esptool to be installed? With some other software ?

• How could I start a clean installation, i.e. no Appdata ... interfering, no registry leftover?

Thanks for any hints

Ede

ede62:

• How is the esptool to be installed? With some other software ?

If you install ESP8266 core for Arduino or Arduino core for the ESP32 via Tools > Board > Boards Manager, it is automatically installed with the package. If you manually installed one of those packages, then there is a bit more of a process to it, but they provide clear instructions.

ede62:

• How could I start a clean installation, i.e. no Appdata ... interfering, no registry leftover?

The Arduino IDE has a "data folder" named Arduino15. You can find it by clicking the link at the line following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file.
If you did a Boards Manager installation, the ESP packages are installed under the Arduino15 folder.

If you did a manual installation, the ESP packages are installed under the hardware subfolder of your sketchbook folder. The sketchbook folder location is shown in the Arduino IDE's File > Preferences > Sketchbook location.

As for the registry, I remember someone saying that doing an uninstallation does not remove it. The "Windows ZIP file for non admin install" version of the Arduino IDE does not write to the registry. I doubt a registry entry is the cause of your problem.

Actually, "they" messed up.
There is a fixed version of the downloader. https://github.com/esp8266/arduino-esp8 ... -0.4.0.zip

Use this,, not the broken version 0.2.0

The Arduino IDE has a "data folder" named Arduino15. You can find it by clicking the link at the line following File > Preferences > More preferences can be edited directly in the file.
If you did a Boards Manager installation, the ESP packages are installed under the Arduino15 folder.

Several days ago I did an update I'd been putting off, to 1.8.10. Since then I get the "spiffs error esptool not found" when trying to upload files to spiffs. (It was fine prior to the update. The boards manager shows the ESP family of boards in it, and a search using Windows explorer shows multiple iterations of esptool.py under the Arduino15 folder. For example for the ESP32 C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\tools\esptool_py\2.6.1
For the ESP8266 the search findings are a bit strange (imho) showing

C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.6.3\tools

There are other entries as well some from the download folder I assume from when I first started playing with it. Long story short I'm confused as to where the esptools should be placed, and what is required to make it work in 1.8.10. I fear that since I first started, I've messed things up when trying to rectify a problem. Is there a way to "clean" everything out and start over? When I updated the install process indicated that all files would be removed, but when I started the new install up, all my old settings and boards were listed..Confused.....

flagtrax:
Is there a way to "clean" everything out and start over?

Yes. If you only want to clean out your ESP8266 installation, delete the C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266 folder. If you want to clean everything (likely not necessary in this case), then you can delete C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15.

flagtrax:
When I updated the install process indicated that all files would be removed, but when I started the new install up, all my old settings and boards were listed.

When you update the Arduino IDE, all the files in the Arduino IDE installation folder (something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino) are removed. But IDE updates don't touch the C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15 folder, so all your preferences and boards installed via Boards Manager are not affected by the update. Normally, that's a good thing, since it means you don't need to reinstall all your boards, but in the case where something is going wrong and you are hoping reinstalling the IDE will result in a "clean start", it's confusing.

Hi pert, thanks so much for the reply...A bit confusing,yes, but I think I"m getting the Jist of it now. I realized too that some how I had 2 versions on this machine of the IDE :o how that happened I don't know, and how it worked ...don't know that either. I think my plan would be to save my sketches on a thumb drive along with necessary files and clean out everything and start fresh. Does that seem doable to you? Another question, concerning the location of python, I know I must of installed it some time ago, but I did see one error that indicated it wasn't there either. I'm not sure where it should be installed. Meaning; should it be located in a specific folder? Again thanks much!

Now I'm more confused LOL. I removed the Arduino15 folder, then reinstalled the IDE and added the ESP8266 board to the boards manager. I then saw the item to upload data to the ESP8266. Thinking I was seeing light at the end of the tunnel, I tried an upload, and got the esptool not found error. I thought I'd read that if the ESP8266 was installed via the board manager, that was taken care of...obviously I'm missing something...

More specific instructions attached for a FULL clean up.

CLEAN UP BEFORE INSTALLING ANOTHER COPY OF THE IDE OR ARDUINO CREATE.pdf (347 KB)

flagtrax:
I realized too that some how I had 2 versions on this machine of the IDE

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying you had two different version folders under :\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266? That does sometimes happen when you update the hardware package via Boards Manager and it fails to remove the previous installation. But I'd expect that to cause a different error.

flagtrax:
I think my plan would be to save my sketches on a thumb drive along with necessary files and clean out everything and start fresh. Does that seem doable to you?

Doable, but probably not necessary. At most you would need to delete C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15, delete the {sketchbook folder}\hardware folder, and reinstall the IDE. You can find the location of the sketchbook folder in the Arduino IDE at File > Preferences > Sketchbook location. Nothing else in your sketchbook should cause this sort of error.

You might have another copy of the ESP8266 hardware package installed at {sketchbook folder}\hardware if you followed the "Using git version" installation instructions.

flagtrax:
concerning the location of python, I know I must of installed it some time ago, but I did see one error that indicated it wasn't there either. I'm not sure where it should be installed. Meaning; should it be located in a specific folder?

When you install the ESP8266 hardware package via Boards Manager, it installs its own copy of Python 3, which will be used regardless of whether you have a separate installation of Python on your machine. The location is:
C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\tools\python3

flagtrax:
and got the esptool not found error. I thought I'd read that if the ESP8266 was installed via the board manager, that was taken care of.

I would also expect that if you deleted C:\Users\flagt\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266 and then reinstalled it via Boards Manager, that error would be fixed. Please check to see if you have an installation of the ESP8266 package in {sketchbook folder}/hardware. If so, delete it and try compiling again. If you are still getting the error after that, post the full output here.

Hi Pert, sorry for the delay, and sorry for some sketchy details. Where I am right now is:

1. I removed the ...Arduino15..folder and contents.
  2. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the IDE.
    ( What I meant refering to 2 versions, was that I had somehow 2 versions of
    the IDE on the machine. One was 1.6.? the other 1.8.8. I know I must have
    done this on this machine within the last year, as it's only a year old, but
    danged if I can remember the details of when and how. I'm sure I followed
    some instructional from somewhere out there, and things change so fast, and
    not being able to work with it as much as I'd like, I'm a bit unsure. )
  3. I removed both using Windows control panel, I did not however remove my
    sketch folder. I then reinstalled the 1.8.10 version of the IDE.
  4. I then installed the ESP8266 board package from the board manager, after adding the url
    [](https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json, http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json)
    To "Additional Boards Manager" entry in the Flies/Preferences menu item.
    And at this point I get (still) the "esptool" error.

I don't see a "hardware" folder under sketches folder.

Thanks sooo much for guidance on this.

Thank you as Well "BSB", I'll download that for a read and future reference.

flagtrax:
What I meant refering to 2 versions, was that I had somehow 2 versions of
the IDE on the machine. One was 1.6.? the other 1.8.8.

OK, I understand now. That's no problem. I have dozens of different IDE versions installed on my computer (to use for testing and support).

flagtrax:
I don't see a "hardware" folder under sketches folder.

That's no problem. It would only be there if you had done a manual installation of a hardware package. So now we know you haven't done that.

flagtrax:
I get (still) the "esptool" error.

Sorry to hear that. Please post the full text of the error message and I'll have a look.

this problem Error building on MacOS due to python3 not found · Issue #6931 · esp8266/Arduino · GitHub
or this
showing Python was not found during uploading spiffs · Issue #6829 · esp8266/Arduino · GitHub
?

Well fella's, I got it working, Heres what I did:

1. I removed the ...Arduino15..folder and contents.
  1. I then uninstalled IDE.

2. I renamed my "arduino" folder to "arduino_old" just to keep the install cleaner.

3. I then ran wise register cleaner on the system.

4. I then installed the UPDATED (esp8266fs.jar 5.0) library (adding support for python

I can now upload to spiffs. I can't say I'm totally out of the woods yet, I'm messing with a sketch by Rui Santos for a webserver using spiffs, and it appears to load the spiffs, and the sketch, but when reset the esp only outputs what I believe to be restart information at 74800 baud:

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1392, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0xd0
csum 0xd0
v3d128e5c
~ld

This is using the latest Esp8266 board support 2.6.3. Other sketchs load and run fine.
Obviously this problem is outside the scope of this thread, but I thought I'd mention it in the event someone else has seen it.

Thanks to all for the guidance on this, I'm not sure what fixed it, I am by no means a "registry expert" but @bobscrewbob did mention issues of that type. It may just be that with all the messing around, things got really "messed".

Again, THANK YOU ALL so much for the guidance!

point 5 alone would do

Yep @juraj, I get that for sure. MY only confusion is why it quit working in the first place. It was working then at some point this sojourn began. Perhaps my original install of the spiffs upload library was manual? I honestly don't remember. I didn't change the IDE or libraries until after the problem started to show. but at least it's now working. Thanks

flagtrax:
Yep @juraj, I get that for sure. MY only confusion is why it quit working in the first place. It was working then at some point this sojourn began. Perhaps my original install of the spiffs upload library was manual? I honestly don't remember. I didn't change the IDE or libraries until after the problem started to show. but at least it's now working. Thanks

you didn't open the links to the issues I sent you in previous comment?
they changed to python 3 for upload tools and the SPIFFS plugin was updated too to work with python 3