Ethernet Microcontroller

Hello everyone, I am looking to control the flow of a video stream over ethernet,

in other words I have 2 cameras each with a video stream and an encoder that can handle only 1 stream over it, therefore I would like a way to stop the flow from one ethernet video stream to allow the stream of the other....then of course switch the streams on command and continue the flow of the next stream...

Any ideas on how to make it slick and clean...

How do you do this today?

What do you mean how do you do this today?

He means how is this done so far. How do you do what you do before you want it extending?

There is probably zero chance of doing this with an arduino.

Oh, well currently like I said I have two cameras, one is a network video camera, and the other is a normal camera attached to a video server....

I was thinking of having the ethernet chords tied together and just switching power on and off to the respective camera to obviously stop the flow of data from one camera, and then turn on the other camera to begin data flow....

The arduino could come in if there were an ethernet controller board out there, perhaps from Sparkfun, that could allow me to dedicate which flow is going through, and obviously the Arduino could control which port was selected....OF course I am getting more into a 3 port switch I suppose and should just use this....???

If "video stream" means "NTSC/PAL analog video", you could just put an Arduino with an Ethernet shield out near the cameras, and have it control a relay that switches between the two.

But you might not need any additional hardware: I have a web video system based on two cameras plugged into an Osprey capture card being encoded and streamed by Windoze Media Encoder. The system switches between the two cameras with a small program that periodically twiddles the "input select" register on the Osprey card. The same trick should work with many other multi-input capture cards: most of them are based on the same chipset. The encoder program has no idea that the source is being switched behind its back.

I dont like the sound of the having another video capture device there...and a computer will be no where near this setup, it is being streamed over radio.....

If I were to run with the idea of an ethernet shield with an arduino...are you sugguesting two shields, one for each camera, and then have the arduino be the feedforward of that data by selecting which shield to read from...

..in other words I have 2 cameras each with a video stream and an encoder that can handle only 1 stream over it..

What is the encoder you mention? Radio encoder?

the other is a normal camera attached to a video server....

Video server is a PC?