External RAM/Flash chip on the arduino?

How do you hook up external ram to the arduino? The IC in question is the 23k640. How do I attach it to the arduino and is it possible to add more? Its only 64kbit I'd like to double that if possible. I could buy another 128KBit chip but I have a few 640's already.

In the playground I saw the I2CEEPROM example, but I dont think that it would apply to the chip I have selected.

Basically I've always wanted to make an old style, super basic computer and build more complex ones as I know more. I've seen people use AVR's and some shift registers to replicate really old computers (Kenbak-uino). Can anyone show me references I might be missing or anything?

This one?

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/22126E.pdf

"The bus signals required are a clock input (SCK) plus separate data in (SI) and data out (SO) lines. Access to the device is controlled through a Chip Select (CS) input."

So you need to connect to D10, 11,12,13.

I think there's even an SRAM library for parts like this. The Hold line needs to be pulled high.

Did you want to use parallel address/data line parts instead? The limited IO of a 328 forces you into a bunch of shifte registers, which are pretty much built into the serial access parts.

CrossRoads: Did you want to use parallel address/data line parts instead? The limited IO of a 328 forces you into a bunch of shifte registers, which are pretty much built into the serial access parts.

Might be a good idea. What would I need? I'm still pretty new to the hardware side of all this sorry if thats a stupid question

Here’s a block diagram of parallal part SRAM with address lines & 8 data lines. It was set up to be accessed from 2 processors, just ignore the parts on the right sidee of the drawings. Needs 100nF caps on all the parts across their power & ground lines.

The first one is a block diagram, the 2nd & 3rd show the connections.

So, you’ve got a pair of serial-in parallel-out shift registers to load up the address to be accessed.
You’ve got a another one for holding data to write to the part.
You’ve got a parallel-in serial-out shift register to hold the data that is read back.
The LS244 is a buffer for the control lines, that one can be deleted since the lines aren’t going to be shared.

If you want a bigger memory part, then more address buffer chips are needed.

Load up an address, load up data if writing, toggle the control lines.
Load up an address, toggle the control lines, read the data shift register.

This is a pretty simplistic approach.
A fancier approach would have pre-loadable counters for the address lines; load in an address, then just clock it to access a bunch of addresses sequentially.