fast ili9341 tft lcd display

hello

i have a project that needs more speed for the tft.
so does anyone know a libary that has the same functions as the adafruit ili9341 libary but than as fast as possible?
if yes: please tell my!

thanks

Ucglib might be faster. It can be installed via Arduino IDE. Ucglib also includes a clipping function for partial update.

Oliver

It is still not fast enough.
Is there somthing faster?
It needs to be like 4 or 5 times faster.

Hmm, difficult. Which board, what content?

Oliver

There are theoretical limits. A SPI display can only run at 8MHz on a Uno or Mega2560. If you use a Zero or Due, not only can you go faster but they can use DMA. The < Adafruit_ILI9341.h> library expects SPI.

The < Adafruit_TFTLCD.h> library expects a 8-bit or 16-bit parallel interface. The 16-bit using two full ports on a MEGA2560 can run at maximum speed. As a general rule, Adafruit write pretty efficient code but you can always make slight improvements.

The < UTFT.h> library is always going to be slower.

As Oliver said, it depends on your display, your Arduino and what type of jobs you want to do.
Put some numbers forwards. Then you can find out whether something is theoretically possible or not.

David.

1 Like

Try this lib: MEGA/Due support ILI9341

leds_are_cool:
hello

i have a project that needs more speed for the tft.
so does anyone know a libary that has the same functions as the adafruit ili9341 libary but than as fast as possible?
if yes: please tell my!

thanks

As noted here (!) the Xark library is about the fastest Adafruit compatible library for SPI displays.

If you want an Adafruit library with more features you could try my variant with extra features which is attached to Step 9 of this Instructable. That runs at about the same speed as the Xark one but may not be sufficiently compatible for your needs.

For more speed a 16 bit parallel display is needed running on a Mega.

I wonder why nobody compares all the different library. Another point is: Only three libraries are listed in the new library for the keyword ILI9341. Two of them seem to be base on the Adafruit lib. The third is Ucglib. UTFT does not appear in the library manager. Also Xark and the other lib from instructables.com are not listed in the library manager.

Why not starting a comparison on the fastest library?

Count the number of redraws of "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" on a ILI9341 display in a monospace font (must be defined) with foreground and background color within X seconds via SPI.

Lib should be available within library manager.

Oliver

olikraus:
Why not starting a comparison on the fastest library?

I don't think this is the way to go. If this was the selection criteria then UTFT would be at the bottom of the pile, but it is one of the most featured and well documented libraries so has lots of proponents.
Having said that a speed test I did with my library was to measure the time to print all values in the range 0 to 999 on screen, divide this time by 2890 (this is the number of individual digits printed) and report the number of microseconds to print a character.

For my library this was 212 microseconds per character for the standard Adafruit 7x5 font with foreground and background. This could be improved... but I don't normally use the Adafruit font... hence it if not worth making too much effort!

The Xark PDQ library has quite a nice performance test sketch that tests most of the graphics functions and reports the time taken.

You might try using a Teensy 3.1 as your microcontroller. It has an optimized version of the Adafruit library that should be much faster than even the Due. More info here: http://hackaday.com/2014/08/18/tft-lcds-hit-warp-speed-with-teensy-3-1/

Bob

i am now using the xark libary.
thanks all.