Faulty Equipment?

Hi.

I am fairly new to this forum, Arduino, electronics as well. I have been learning the basics for some time now, and it is my goal to eventually build a Weather station.

I have followed advice, given to me on this forum to start slowly, that is do one thing at a time, ie, a temp gauge, then a barometer, you get the idea, finally combining a lot of different Meteorological instruments.

After discussions with one forum member, i managed to build a temp gauge using a DHT22, i downloaded the libraries into a given sketch and it worked with a read out on the serial monitor, that was a 0% Humidity readout, the temperature readout was perfect compared to other temperature gauges i have, i have been unable to get to the bottom of this problem since then.

I have in fact got frustrated as everything i do does not seem to work, i have followed simple sketches on the internet, i have built examples from the IDE, but nothing seems to work. My latest effort was to build a simple "Hello World" LCD readout from the IDE examples, i have used a Generic 16 x 2 HD44780 and a Nokia 5110, downloading the libraries to my folder, in both cases the sketch first compiles and then downloads, the green led's on the UNO flash rapidly, the sketch reads uploading sketch AND THE UPLOADED, but nothing appears on the screen??? after all that my question is this, could ther be a fault with the UNO board, both my LCD's or what i wonder, is there a test sketch anywhere i can use to test the UNO??

Regards

Ray

Start with the Blink example. Get that to do its thing. Then change the timing of the loop (e.g. to two seconds on, one second off) and observe the change.
Post the code you used for the Nokia 5110 (in code tags) and include a description or, better yet, a diagram of how you wired it.

Which Arduino are you using?

Pete

"Installation & Troubleshooting -
For problems with Arduino itself, NOT your project "

AWOL

How will i ever know if it's Arduino or me?

gresleyman:
but nothing seems to work. My latest effort was to build a simple "Hello World" LCD readout from the IDE examples

Start with something much simpler than that - something that does not need any extra hardware. Such as what @el_supremo suggested. Or a simple program to print "hello world" on the Arduino Serial Monitor every second.

...R

gresleyman:
How will i ever know if it's Arduino or me?

Run the simple blink sketch, but change the pin number each time so that you check that you can set all the Arduino pins high and low.

Sparkfun among other places has an intro text for their Inventors Kit - free PDF download - I started with their Inventors Kit and worked through most of the examples - start there with the basics -

I had programmed in C some years back and have many years experience with industrial PLC's and ladder logic - but the intro got me going in the right direction - does not take much time and yes some might be a bit of a review - but I think worth it

good luck