ffs i just killed my arduino i think

Hi,

i just supplied my arduino uno with 24v dc into the VIN pin by accident.....
there are still 2 LEDs lightning on the board, but besides that nothing happens, and i cant find the arduino on the serial port.

is there anyway to recover it? i didnt smell anyhing burn or something and it was just plugged in for half a second

its an UNO with a DIP chip, is it possible that only the board got damaged and the Atmega chip survived this?

(deleted)

someuser:
i just supplied my arduino uno with 24v dc into the VIN pin by accident.....

Vin or 5V? The absolute max for the on-onboard regulator is 20V. (The decoupling caps are rated for less, but could handle a short time above their rating.)

someuser:
there are still 2 LEDs lightning on the board

When powered by USB or powered by Vin? When powered by USB, use a multimeter and measure across the polyfuse (the large gold component near the USB port. Or green if you're using a cheap knock off board.)

someuser:
and i cant find the arduino on the serial port.

If official Uno the 16u2 used for USB-to-Serial seems to get damaged quite easily by overvoltage. Which is why I asked if you put the 24V into Vin or 5V pin.

If the 5V pin, then the 16u2 is most likely destroyed, while the 328p and on-board regulator are definitely damaged.

If Vin, I'd be surprised if the regulator failed short. Which would be the only way it the 24v could have damaged anything else on the board.

someuser:
is it possible that only the board got damaged and the Atmega chip survived this?

Damaged components don't fail immediately.

okay cool thanks for the info,
it was definetly the VIN pin and not the 5v.

i guess ill just desolder the Xtal and take out the atmega chip and recycle it in a project.

If the regulator shorted and allowed the high voltage to pass, I wouldn't keep the chip.

Damaged coomponents don't fail immediately. The 328p may appear to work today. Later down the road it may even work for a while. Then it'll stop and you'll end up troubleshooting the wrong problem.

okay,
do you think the xtal still works?

(deleted)

someuser:
do you think the xtal still works?

I'm starting to feel like a broken record.

Damaged components don't fail immediately.

Do I think it still "works"? Yes, I'm sure it does, for now. Do I think it is damaged? I have absolutely no idea. Would I trust it? No. Given that it is one of the cheapest things on the board, I wouldn't bother salvaging it.

If I needed one to test a circuit while I waited for a new one to arrive, perhaps. As long as I had a good oscilloscope with a high impedance probe so I could verify if it is working when I use it.