Fixed Object Tracking - Vehicle Movement

Hi all

very new to Arduino, have just bought the starter kit and enjoying experimenting,

I understand im no way near to advanced but I bought the kit to learn with the aim of eventually being able to undertake the project below,

what I would like to do is to keep a camera set up always pointing at the same fixed object no matter the position of the vehicle its mounted on, imagine the camera is mounted on a vehicle and the camera is pointing at a specific fixed object (like a bridge) and the vehicle is moving in various different directions away or to that bridge, How will I maintain the camera in the exact position (imagine everything is level to start)

again I know this is probably advanced level but its nice to aim high so I keep up my enthusiasm in the Arduino

many thanks

A

The difficult part is recognising where the tracked object is relative to te field of view of the camera. Maybe you could use some sort of video analysis / object recognition / object tracking approach for that, but it's likely to be hard. This approach would need a lot of processing resources and not something you could do on an Arduino.

Ultimately you will need some mechanism to steer the camera, and you will need something to generate the control signals for that - an Arduino would be suitable for that.

For fairly distant objects you can use a GPS on the car and the coordinates of the target to calculate azimuth and altitude to the target, then use a magnetometer (compass) to determine the azimuth and altitude of the car and motors to position the camera..

johnwasser: For fairly distant objects you can use a GPS on the car and the coordinates of the target to calculate azimuth and altitude to the target, then use a magnetometer (compass) to determine the azimuth and altitude of the car and motors to position the camera..

I've read that one of the open source autopilot projects (Ardupilot, I think) supports a gymbal mode which keeps a camera pointed at a fixed point in space. As you say, it would only be as accurate as your position sensing so unlikely to be useful for close objects.

The recently developed and more-or-less self contained PIXY camera can recognize objects by color, and has a provision to control a pan/tilt mount to track a recognized object. It is not expensive, see http://charmedlabs.com/default/?page_id=211