[FIXED] Software error protoboard arduino

Hello everyone!
I recently made an arduino on a protoboard by following the arduino on a breadbaord instructions. Since i dis not have a FTDI cable on hand, i decided to add an ICSP cable and program the 'duino usind a USBASP i had. THe drivers for that were already installed.When i tried uploading the sketch, (upload using programmer) i got the error :

avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

An LED is attached to pin 19 of the atmega 168 (SCK pin). The led glow faintly at all times. I wired the header using this http://upvector.com/atmega/icsp_hookup.png diagram and have already doubled checked continuity. Can you all help me?

Thanks!

Does your chip already have a bootloader? If so it is probably set to require a 16 MHz crystal or resonator. The ICSP interface won't work without a working system clock.

Get the modified ArduinoISP from adafruit: GitHub - adafruit/ArduinoISP: A fork of the ArduinoISP that has 8mhz output clock

This version of ArduinoISP will generate an 8 MHz square wave on Pin 9. Connect Arduino Ground to breadboard Ground and Arduin Pin 9 to atMega328p pin 9 (XTAL1) to provide a system clock. Then see if your USBasp will upload to it.

I uploaded some pictures, sorry for the delay. Yes, i have already connected the XTAL + 22pf caps!
Thanks for the help!

edit: please click on the images for full size!

Does the Power LED light up when you attach the ICSP cable?

Upload the Blink sketch to an Arduino UNO and move the ATmega328p chip from the UNO to your breadboard. Does the LED on Pin 13 blink if you apply Ground and 5V to the breadboard?

Okay- I solved the problem- due to my newbie soldering, two of the pins were shorted (cold solder joint, so multimeter did not detect shorts all the time) on the ICSP header. This led to the following symptoms!

If anyone faces this problem again, please check your joints under a microscope/magnifying lens