FTDI adapter

I have a breadboard with a ATmega328p-pu and have no problems uploading simple programs using a FTDI adapter with 5 lines, including DTR . I found an old FTDI adapter with 4 connections (5 V,GND,TXD and RXD), no DTR line, and want to use it with my breadboard and the Arduino software. What should I do to replace the DTR function on this 4-line adapter? I know it has soimething to do with Reset and pin 1 on the chip. Please help. For experts certainly a simple question.

You need the DTR to upload a sketch. If it has only RX and TX, you can not use it to upload a sketch.

The chip is perhaps the FT232RL chip, you can try to find the DTR pin and try to solder a wire to it.

Peter_n:
You need the DTR to upload a sketch. If it has only RX and TX, you can not use it to upload a sketch.

The chip is perhaps the FT232RL chip, you can try to find the DTR pin and try to solder a wire to it.

You can, you just have to reset manually before upload starts (I've done this many times).
With duelmilanove bootloader it's easier to match the timing, with optiboot (uno bootloader) it's a bit tricky.

if the lines below was your reply please give me somemore details. Reset is connecting pin1 of the chip to GND. At what moment should I press the reset button, before compiling, or after, directly before uploading?? DEtails please,
thankx

You can, you just have to reset manually before upload starts (I've done this many times).
With duelmilanove bootloader it's easier to match the timing, with optiboot (uno bootloader) it's a bit tricky.

Release the reset button, at the moment the uploading is about to start.

Hi i bought arduino pro mini and ftdi breakboard. I plugged breakboard with USB. Ive got problem i cant find drivers for ftdi breakboard. I searched some drivers - error. I tried it at another computer still have got this problem. Please help THANKS

Is it a real FTDI ? There are other usb-serial chips, some are supported by Arduino and some are not.

The real FTDI chip is supported by the Arduino, since it is used by Aruino Duemilanove and Arduino Nano.

When you download the Arduino IDE software, the drivers are included in the 'driver' folder. The easiest way is to download the zip-file of Arduino IDE 1.5.8 BETA, unzip it, go to 'driver' folder and run the exe file that installs the drivers.