GPS Module(NEO 6m)not working

:o

hi,
I'm trying to get time from GPS module.
But the situation is so strange..

I bought neo 6m module few days ago.
It had micro usb port to directly connect to the pc.
To make sure its fine,i plugged it in,open arduino ide serial monitor.
Works great! everything its normal on screen,tons of information($GPRMC,,,,).

Now i'm trying to connect it to my board,and it Shows nothing.

vcc- 5v or 3.3v
gnd-gnd
rx- 2
tx- 3

help...

btw any one know whats PPS pin for and how to use?

Hello Henry.

The GPS board outputs its data on the pin labelled TX. This has to be connected to the pin on the UNO that receives data and that is the RX pin of your software serial port (pin 2).

So, it shud be:

GPS TX – UNO pin 2 (RX)

Don’t be concerned about the GPS RX pin connection until you want to transmit a configuration command from the UNO to the GPS. In other words, you don’t need to connect it to anything, but it would go to pin 3 (TX).

The GPS board requires 5v. It won’t work with 3.3v. The board has a regulator that supplies 3.3v to the u-blox receiver.

Good luck.

John.

omg im just being stupid :o
haven't used uart before only spi and i2c

thax bro ,loveu

No prob.

The GPS outputs its bunch of sentences once per second (default). So you might not want the delay(1000).

Have you got an external antenna to attach to that screwed connection? Gives better performance than the on-board ceramic antenna.

John.

HillmanImp:
No prob.

The GPS outputs its bunch of sentences once per second (default). So you might not want the delay(1000).

Have you got an external antenna to attach to that screwed connection? Gives better performance than the on-board ceramic antenna.

John.

Yes i have,works great.

BTW
Is it possible to get time with milliseconds and higher frequency?

Henry,

The GPS receiver provides a time value down to centiseconds, i.e., hundredths of a second. For example: "120744.00".

So, no, you can't get millseconds. I've just noticed that mine is always giving "00" as the hundredths value. Have to think about why that is occurring.

Remember that the time value is not the time it appears on your display. It's the time registered by the receiver somewhere within the process of receiving satellite signals and formulating the NMEA sentences and outputting them on the TX pin. Maybe it's the time when a satellite sent its signal. I think it's called the epoch time, not sure tho.

The frequency of generating the sentences can be increased or decreased. You have to send to the GPS a configuration command to do that. Best way to learn about that is through the u-center software from the u-blox site (free). That software can make the change for you or you could work out the command for your sketch to send. The on-board battery should ensure the configuration is retained when you power down the board.

John.

look at the image on top of page 2: http://w8bh.net/avr/clock2.pdf

the leading edge of the yellow pulse is the start of a second. opinions vary widely among the arrogant argumentative sort, as demonstrated here: Why do GPS receivers have a 1 PPS output? - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

but 20 nanoseconds accuracy should be well out of the argumentative range

the critical thing to note is that the blue data burst comes AFTER the PPS pulse.

You are not at “at the tone the time will be.” you are at “at the pulse the time was”

so, as W8BH noted, you need to set the time to ( GPS time +1 ) when the PPS pulse leading edge hits, via an interrupt

but!

the next GPS pulse will just set ou back to “unknown fraction of a second behind” This is discussed at the Time library github

you can try syncing the RTC to GPS PPS and setting syncProvider(RTC);

or you can study GPS disciplined NTP. NTP has a mechanism which syncs the clock to atomic clock time within microseconds

I am revising my W8BH clock to be an NTP server, and working on an RPi 3 NTP server in parallel, but the parts are taking way too long to come in.

GE, that's a very interesting article. Thanks.

I'm curious as to why you need the time to such precision?

John.

I'm curious as to why you need the time to such precision?

because I'm obsessive compulsive, and I have enough strength of will to channel it into productive purposes.

because you must have accurate time stamps for DVR evidence to be valid in court, but the required precision is not specified, so "all you can get" is the only standard available

because, if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly.