GT-u7 gps serial output wierdness help

Ive hooked yp a GT-u7 GPS. I run the serial monitor but all that is outputted is what looks like some kind of machine code.
The GPS is a Goouuu Tech unit amd im using the Tiny gps example library.

Cheers

Update. I changed the baud rate to 115200 and now i get an output. However it just says "No charecters recieved from GPS: Check wiring". Ive checked the wiring, even trying swapping the tx rx pins round and connecting to the tx rx pins rather than the pin 03 and 04 pins the tinygps test script uses. I had to solder the connectors to the gps board so im worried the soldering may have blown the gps unit. The GT-u7 unit has a led which is blinking while powered up.
Cheers

You have not given us much real information that we can use to help you. Please read the how to use this forum sticky to see how to post code and some advice on how to ask an effective question. See #7 & 11.

Which Arduino?
Your code (in code tags).
A schematic of the wiring would help.
A sample of the weird output.

The board us a Mega2560.
The cide us the Tinygps example code whuch is included with the tinygps library and i haven't chamged it.
I have noticed that the GPS unit has what looks like a small keeper battery. I bought the unit a couple of years ago. Could the keeper battery have run low and so the unit is now a dud?

on a Mega you get 4 hardware serial ports. the data sheet says it’s backward compatible with a NEO 6 or 7
one goes to the Serial monitor, another goes to the GPS. the GPS is typically 9600.

about that serial you changed: there are 2: the one you changed may be the one to the serial monitor. that must be the same as the box on the lower right of the IDE when you are in Serial Monitor.

this should work with the GPS TXD connected to Mega Pin 15

#include <TinyGPS++.h>
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
/*
   This sample sketch demonstrates the normal use of a TinyGPS++ (TinyGPSPlus) object.
   It requires the use of SoftwareSerial, and assumes that you have a
   4800-baud serial GPS device hooked up on pins 4(rx) and 3(tx).
*/
static const uint32_t GPSBaud = 9600;

// The TinyGPS++ object
TinyGPSPlus gps;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial3.begin(GPSBaud);
  Serial.println(F("DeviceExample Mega Serial3.ino"));
  Serial.println(F("A simple demonstration of TinyGPS++ with an attached GPS module"));
  Serial.print(F("Testing TinyGPS++ library v. ")); Serial.println(TinyGPSPlus::libraryVersion());
  Serial.println(F("by Mikal Hart"));
  Serial.println();
}

void loop()
{
  // This sketch displays information every time a new sentence is correctly encoded.
  while (Serial3.available() > 0)
    if (gps.encode(Serial3.read()))
      displayInfo();

if (millis() > 5000 && gps.charsProcessed() < 10)
  {
    Serial.println(F("No GPS detected: check wiring.")); Serial.println();
    while(true);
  }
}

void displayInfo()
{
  Serial.print(F("Location: ")); 
  if (gps.location.isValid())
  {
    Serial.print(gps.location.lat(), 4);
    Serial.print(F(","));
    Serial.print(gps.location.lng(), 4);
  }
  else
  {
    Serial.print(F("INVALID"));
  }

Serial.print(F("  Date/Time: "));
  if (gps.date.isValid())
  {
    Serial.print(gps.date.month());
    Serial.print(F("/"));
    Serial.print(gps.date.day());
    Serial.print(F("/"));
    Serial.print(gps.date.year());
  }
  else
  {
  }

Serial.print(F(" "));
  if (gps.time.isValid())
  {
    if (gps.time.hour() < 10) Serial.print(F("0"));
    Serial.print(gps.time.hour());
    Serial.print(F(":"));
    if (gps.time.minute() < 10) Serial.print(F("0"));
    Serial.print(gps.time.minute());
    Serial.print(F(":"));
    if (gps.time.second() < 10) Serial.print(F("0"));
    Serial.print(gps.time.second());
    Serial.print(F("."));
    if (gps.time.centisecond() < 10) Serial.print(F("0"));
    Serial.print(gps.time.centisecond());
  }
  else
  {
  }

Serial.println();
}

DKenp:
Could the keeper battery have run low and so the unit is now a dud?

The battery might well be discharged by now, but that should not stop the GPS from working.

I've ordeted a new gps unit as ive done everything as far as I can research that's meant to work. I wonder what the point of the keeper battery is though if the GPS supposedly works even without it.
Thanks for responses.

Its not a case of the 'GPS supposedly' working without the battery, GPSs should not need batteries to work. The batteries only stay charged (without power) a couple of weeks anyway.

For information on why a GPS has a battery read here;

I attempted to upload this to my board (Mega 2560) but I just got this error message

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

C:\Users\D\Documents\Arduino\gpstest\gpstest.ino:1:23: fatal error: TinyGPS++.h: No such file or directory

#include <TinyGPS++.h>

^

compilation terminated.

It seems it didnt like the TinyGPS++.h and my TinyGPS library is just called TinyGPS no + symbols. I did a search for TINYGPS++ and found a library at GitHub but when I installed the library it was just the same TinyGPSplus library i had before so i don't know how the above script would ever have worked calling on a library called TinyGPS+++ .
I did try removing all references to "TinyGPS++" and replacing them with "TinyGPSplus" but I just got bogged down in one upload error after another. Im in no way informed enough about Arduino to go messing around with code so i have up on the above script, so apologies to Geek Emeritus, I'm sure you were trying to help but the script you posted just didn't work.

I also tried a different baud rate. The example code for tinyGPS states ss.begin(4800); but when i looked up a data sheet for my GT-u7 it said the unit uses 9600 so I tried changing the baud rate to 9600. Still no joy so i tried a few other baud created and still no result.

I also downloaded the Ublox Ucenter software and connected both my original GT-u7 unit and another I just received via their little USB connector. Both units locked on to satellites within minutes no problem. both units show a little flashing red LED once they have locked onto a satellite.

When connected through my Arduino Mega 2560 I get the same result though, the same message through the serial monitor that there is no data coming through serial and that i should check wiring. I have tried every permutation of wiring the TX out from the GT-u7 unit possible. The recommended wiring for my GT-u7 unit is as follows RX-to-PIN 03, TX-to-Pin 04, Vcc-to-5V, Gnd-to-Gnd. I have tried changing the TX/Rx pins around and plugging them into the TX and RX marked pins on the Arduino board.

I have tried all three example scripts with the TinyGPS library;
Simpletest,
Statistest
Test_with_GPS_device
All with the same result.

Any idea what i can try next. All I'm wanting is the speed info from the GPS .

@DKenp

Other post/duplicate DELETED
Please do NOT cross post / duplicate as it wastes peoples time and efforts to have more than one post for a single topic.

Continued cross posting could result in a time out from the forum.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.

I have tried again but with a different board (UNO R3) and a different script. The script I used is calling for the library TinyGPS++ but this wont compile. The TinyGPS library I've unzipped from github is called TinyGPS I cant find any that is called TinyGPS++ so I don't think I have the wrong library. I even tried renaming the library TinyGPS++ but got an error message advising that you cannot have symbols in a library file name, so seeming to prove that the library call #include "TinyGPS++.h" is wrong. However this is not the first script I've tried which has this library call.

I got the script from here GitHub - LessonStudio/Arduino_GPS: This ties into the youtube video explaining how to connect a GPS unit to an Arduino after watching this video HOW TO: Easy GPS connection to an Arduino - YouTube

Im using an Arduino UNO R3. Ive made sure to set this as the board and I've checked its connected via a com port (com 4) I have installed the TinyGPS library from GitHub - mikalhart/TinyGPS: A compact Arduino NMEA (GPS) parsing library

The script is:-

#include "TinyGPS++.h"
#include "SoftwareSerial.h"

SoftwareSerial serial_connection(10, 11); //RX=pin 10, TX=pin 11
TinyGPSPlus gps;//This is the GPS object that will pretty much do all the grunt work with the NMEA data
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);//This opens up communications to the Serial monitor in the Arduino IDE
serial_connection.begin(9600);//This opens up communications to the GPS
Serial.println("GPS Start");//Just show to the monitor that the sketch has started
}

void loop()
{
while(serial_connection.available())//While there are characters to come from the GPS
{
gps.encode(serial_connection.read());//This feeds the serial NMEA data into the library one char at a time
}
if(gps.location.isUpdated())//This will pretty much be fired all the time anyway but will at least reduce it to only after a package of NMEA data comes in
{
//Get the latest info from the gps object which it derived from the data sent by the GPS unit
Serial.println("Satellite Count:");
Serial.println(gps.satellites.value());
Serial.println("Latitude:");
Serial.println(gps.location.lat(), 6);
Serial.println("Longitude:");
Serial.println(gps.location.lng(), 6);
Serial.println("Speed MPH:");
Serial.println(gps.speed.mph());
Serial.println("Altitude Feet:");
Serial.println(gps.altitude.feet());
Serial.println("");
}
}

/*
* $GPRMC,183729,A,3907.356,N,12102.482,W,000.0,360.0,080301,015.5,E*6F
$GPRMB,A,,,,,,,,,,,,V*71
$GPGGA,183730,3907.356,N,12102.482,W,1,05,1.6,646.4,M,-24.1,M,,*75
$GPGSA,A,3,02,,,07,,09,24,26,,,,,1.6,1.6,1.0*3D
$GPGSV,2,1,08,02,43,088,38,04,42,145,00,05,11,291,00,07,60,043,35*71
$GPGSV,2,2,08,08,02,145,00,09,46,303,47,24,16,178,32,26,18,231,43*77
$PGRME,22.0,M,52.9,M,51.0,M*14
$GPGLL,3907.360,N,12102.481,W,183730,A*33
$PGRMZ,2062,f,3*2D
$PGRMM,WGS 84*06
$GPBOD,,T,,M,,*47
$GPRTE,1,1,c,0*07
$GPRMC,183731,A,3907.482,N,12102.436,W,000.0,360.0,080301,015.5,E*67
$GPRMB,A,,,,,,,,,,,,V*71
*/

DKenp:
so seeming to prove that the library call #include “TinyGPS++.h” is wrong.

Its not wrong.

Although it should really be;

#include <TinyGPS++.h>

But “TinyGPS++.h” will work when the library is actually located in the folder where your IDE install expects to find libraries.

srnet:
Its not wrong.

Although it should really be;

#include <TinyGPS++.h>

But “TinyGPS++.h” will work when the library is actually located in the folder where your IDE install expects to find libraries.

Thanks. I did another search for Tinygps libraries and found that the the author of the Tinygps library had made a new library which is indeed called TinyGPS++. I loaded this and now the script works. Trouble was the link through a google search initially took me to the old library and only when I chose a link further down the google results did i get to the newer library info. Thanks for your time it’s appreciated.