GY-NEO-6MV2 Module's LED is not blinking

Hi everyone,

I am working with Gy-NEO-6M Module and I've connected it to the Arduino UNO.

I works for one week but today when I tried to test some code I've found that the LED is not blinking and subsequently I get no data o the serial port.

I have checked the power supply and it is about 4.4 volt. since there is a regulator on this module I'm sure that it would not damage the NEO-6M-0-001 Chip. I have also add the following line to my code and it has just return 0.

Serial.println(gps.satellites.value());

I've heard these following points:

1- We do not have to touch the NEO-6M-0-001 Chip, otherwise it would be burned?

2- the battery in the module is rechargeable and sometimes it take an hour to be charged?

Considering the point that the module was working till yesterday, what is the reason of the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Mahdiyar.

Your best placed to identify the problem.

If it was working for a week and now it does not work, what exactly have you done since ?

The GPS is outside with a good view of the sky ?

If the 'power supply' is what the Ublox module itself is getting, then that ought to be 3.3V.

The state of charge of the battery should not stop the GPS working.

Hi.

I have a similar board. I did some experimenting and found that if the supply to the board is less than 4.8v then it will under perform or even stop working.

I'm not confident that my non-genuine UNO provides more than 4.8v, particularly when hooked up to the board via a breadboard.

Symptoms of insufficient voltage are:

. slight dimming of the LED
. rapid flickering of the LED rather than strong and steady
. reboot messages appearing in the NMEA sentences (don't use a sketch, send the NMEA sentences straight to the monitor via the h/w serial port)

John.

1 Like

I have another similar board whose battery has completely broken away. Without the battery, the board still works.

John.

srnet:
Your best placed to identify the problem.

If it was working for a week and now it does not work, what exactly have you done since ?

The GPS is outside with a good view of the sky ?

If the 'power supply' is what the Ublox module itself is getting, then that ought to be 3.3V.

The state of charge of the battery should not stop the GPS working.

Thank you for your reply.
I have just wanted to try another code with this Module and the connections are note changed.

I have also checked the voltage across the VCC(pin23) and GND(pin12) of the Module and it is about 3.29 which means the supply voltage provide sufficient voltage.

Moreover, regarding to the climate situation the place is not changed.

Mahdiyar:
Moreover, regarding to the climate situation the place is not changed.

Not the answer to the question, is the GPS outside with a good view of the sky ?

srnet:
Not the answer to the question, is the GPS outside with a good view of the sky ?

I have tested under the clean sunny sky and still the led is not blinking

There are some GPS troubleshooting steps here;

GPS Troubleshooting

Mahdiyar,

Can you post a screenshot of the NMEA sentences the module is generating?

John.

NissanCedric:
Mahdiyar,

Can you post a screenshot of the NMEA sentences the module is generating?

John.

$GPGSV,1,1,00*79

$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64

$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53

$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30

$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48

$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30

Mahdiyar:
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79

$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64

$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53

$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30

$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48

$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30

If its still doing that after 10 seconds or so and its outside with a good view of the sky, then either the GPS or its antenna is faulty.

Well, that means the receiver is generating legible sentences. In the GSV sentence, the fourth field gives the number of visible satellites which, for your receiver, is currently "00".

I don't know how reliable is that tiny antenna connector. On mine it seems that moving the wire can change the performance.

Good luck.

NissanCedric:
In the GSV sentence, the fourth field gives the number of visible satellites which, for your receiver, is currently "00".

Indeed so, from the link I published earlier, a working GPS ought to show something like this within a few seconds of turning on;

$GPGSV,1,1,01,03,,,19*73

Indicating 1 satellite seen, its no 3, and signal is level 19 (i.e. very weak).