heeeelp! programmer not responding.

Hi

I just started using the Lilypad. I have hooked up my Arduino Diecimilia before and gotten the "hello world" (blink) code running perfectly. However, I have tried a million times to get the Lilypad to do the same thing and it won't.

I have the Lilypad Arduino setup with the Sparkfun Lilypad USB link. GND to GND, RX to RX, TX to TX, + to +. I have tried with and without an additional power source. Everytime I try to upload even the simpliest code it responds:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. I saw a bunch of stuff about the bootloader, but I'd need a lot of help on how to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken you need to connect Rx to Tx and Tx to Rx

Of course + goes to + and GND goes to GND

:slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.

I've actually tried it both ways. I have it set up correctly now, TX to RX and vice versa, but I still get the same message.

thanks

Hold down the reset button on your board then press the upload button in the software and immediately release the reset button on the board

This should allow you to upload just fine :slight_smile:

I have already tried this too, several times. I have reset then tried to upload, hold reset and clicked upload and released when the led blinks.... still the same message... I have two lilypad board, and two USB links, I have tried them in all combinations with no luck.

I am using Arduino 00012 and a MacBook Pro running Mac OSX 10.4.

Do you have another computer you can try?

I take it you have already installed the FTDI drivers and the boards are detected by your kernel

I've installed the drivers, I just tried it on my friend's computer too with no luck. Thanks for all your help, any other ideas?

Thanks

What kind of computers and operating systems have you tried so far?

I've only used Macs, my Macbook Pro and my friend's MacBook. Both running 10+ versions of Mac OSX.

My arduino diecimilia works fine on it, which is why it confuses me so much.

Thanks

How did you wire your boards up?

Can you boot one of your Macs using an Ubuntu Live CD?

I don't think I can do that.

This is the setup I am using: http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~buechley/LilyPad/01_computer_attach.html

thanks

Please ls -la /dev/tty.usb* and post the results :slight_smile:

With the LilyPad plugged in

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean...

thanks

try hitting the reset button over & over quickly as your program is being uploaded. Try this a few times, with slightly different timings. Post back here w/ results, am curious to hear.

If it consistently requires reset acrobatics to get your program to load, or if you never get your program to load you should get in touch w/ Sparkfun. This is probably a bootloader issue...

oh & what lilypad board do you have? Do you have 6 pins to plug the USB link into or 4?

I'm having the same problem as fmmw. I've got a G5 tower running OS X 10.5.5 and the Lilypad is a 6 pin board with USB link. I've tried all of the suggestions mentioned and nothing has worked. I've contacted Spark Fun, but I thought I would see if anyone else had an idea in the meantime. Thanks everybody.

Are there heat marks around the chip on the LilyPad? When you plug in your arduino to the computer what happens?

If you have one of the newest 6pin LilyPads, you need the 6 pin basic FTDI board to program it. The LilyPad USB Link won't work.

We're making this change so that the LilyPad will be compatible with most other Arduinos. Sorry for any confusion this transition causes! Sparkfun may be able to help. Contact them with your problem & I believe they will be happy to swap your USB Link for an basic FTDI board.

Hi

I've tried using the reset button to upload in many different ways with no luck.

I have both a 4-pin and a 6-pin Lilypad. I also have 2 different USB links, one is the Arduino USB link and the other is the Sparkfun USB link for the Lilypad. I've tried all combinations of this with no luck, along with the reset, along with trying an outside power supply. Still no luck. But my Decemilia works fine...

Thanks

Hi

I've tried using the reset button to upload in many different ways with no luck.

I have both a 4-pin and a 6-pin Lilypad. I also have 2 different USB links, one is the Arduino USB link and the other is the Sparkfun USB link for the Lilypad. I've tried all combinations of this with no luck, along with the reset, along with trying an outside power supply. Still no luck. But my Decemilia works fine...

When I plug the lilypad into the computer, the light comes on and the USB link lights blink.

Thanks