Help needed - Selecting stepper motor drivers for Arduino conveyor project

Hey fellow Arduino enthusiasts!

About me: Industrial Engineer who is interested in building stuff. Absolute N00bie to Arduino and all things electrical.

I recently came across an idea for a mini conveyor using chain drive. The objective is to run 3 chains at 3 really slow(~0.1,0.1 and 0.01 rpm) but different speeds. I can't drive it to rotate once every 10 minutes though. In order to achieve such low speeds, the chains will be driven by stepper motors as I do not have space to use gearing. The load is very low too.

My question #1: In order to drive the 3 stepper motors, what kind of driver should be used? I was thinking of going with the Arduino Uno R3 and have it connected to 3 different drivers to start. Will I be able to connect 3 drivers and control 3 motors on a single Arduino Uno R3?

Question #2: Is there a way to use just one driver to save space ? The speed of the stepper motors is not going to be altered.

Thanks for reading!

Too little information. Is this a hand held device, or for something used in a factory?
Gear wheels are often a tiny fraction of the size of the motor driving them.

You could try looking at hardware sold for making your own 3d printer - they have to drive multiple stepper motors - you might get a ready made solution to your problem.

Have a look at RAMPS 1.4.

These links may help
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

If you want advice about a driver you must post a link to the datasheet for the stepper motors.

…R

mikb55:
Too little information. Is this a hand held device, or for something used in a factory?
Gear wheels are often a tiny fraction of the size of the motor driving them.

Hey Mikb65, this will be used in a factory setting but I'm not sure why this matters.

I'll be using a very tiny motor. Something like this - FK-N21 DC 3V 5V 6V 51000RPM High Speed Mini 10mm*12mm Motor Large Torque RC Car | eBay

and for such a size, I don't think it would be possible to reduce the speed by gear wheels at the desired ratio.

JohnLincoln:
You could try looking at hardware sold for making your own 3d printer - they have to drive multiple stepper motors - you might get a ready made solution to your problem.

Have a look at RAMPS 1.4.

Thanks for the advice. I think that would be a viable option. I'll check on this.

noobnat:
Hey Mikb65, this will be used in a factory setting but I'm not sure why this matters.

I'll be using a very tiny motor. Something like this - FK-N21 DC 3V 5V 6V 51000RPM High Speed Mini 10mm*12mm Motor Large Torque RC Car | eBay

and for such a size, I don't think it would be possible to reduce the speed by gear wheels at the desired ratio.

The camera-size stepper motors require very low voltage & current. Most common stepper drivers (even RAMPS plug-in types that have adjustable-current) will deliver way too much current for such a tiny motor.

Pololu makes a stepper driver board with the DRV8834 chip that I would suggest.

Alternately, you could look into what chips are used to drive those motors in camera lenses.