[HELP]Problem Burning the Bootloader

Alright Guys so here it goes,

I'm trying to burn a bootloader using two arduino Unos and for some reason I keep getting the following error:

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

I was hoping if there is anyone that can further help explain this error, and also guide to how I can override this check, where do I use the -F??

The reason I'm doing this is because I keep getting an error when I try to push a new sketch into the secondary arduino, and whenever I switch the ATMEGA chip with the primary the same error starts coming up on the Primary itself and the secondary works just fine, so I know the problem is originating from the ATMEGA chip Itself

The processor in an Arduino UNO is an ATmega328P. Could one of your processors be an ATmega328 (not 328P)? That would cause the error.

Both Arduinos are still in stock condition and both have the ATmega328P chip have any idea how I can throw in the -F to skip over the check?

I think the only way to put in the -F switch is to run avrdude yourself. Turn on upload verbose logging (in Preferences) and try Burn Bootloader to get the list of avrdude commands that the IDE generates. Run those commands in a command window and add the -F where necessary.

johnwasser: I think the only way to put in the -F switch is to run avrdude yourself. Turn on upload verbose logging (in Preferences) and try Burn Bootloader to get the list of avrdude commands that the IDE generates. Run those commands in a command window and add the -F where necessary.

Okay so I've done what you said, which for the record was spot on and I'm very thankful for your help, but I still get the following error after I try to upload a sketch directly to the secondary arduino

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

further update I ordered a new AtMega chip and I still receive the same result ..

It is possible that processors have different (or incorrect) fuse bit settings which interferes with the download. Do you have a external ISP ? A USBasp or similar? With a programmer, you can use AvrDude in terminal mode and interrogate fuse settings and compare them. I've seen differences in fuse settings with Chinese clone boards that caused many lost hours. While it turned out to be a good learning experience, it was pretty frustrating in the early phases of troubleshooting.

bakuurna: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Usually that means that one of the six ICSP wires is not wired correctly. Five of the six can connect directly from ICSP header to ICSP header. The 6th (Reset) goes to Pin 10 of the UNO running ArduinoISP. Be sure to disable Auto Reset on the UNO running ArduinoISP.