Help programming pro mini.

So I just got my 3 pro mini (well, the ebay "arduino compatible" ones), and a usb programmer today, however I am having a hell of a time programming it. I thought you just connected the usb adapter to the board but apparently the pins are wrong that way, but somehow the blink sketch did upload, so I have no clue how.

Anyways, I now have it wired up like such.

USB Pro Mini
Red - VCC VCC
Black - GND GND
Blue - DTR DTR
White TX RX
Green RX TX
None CTS N/C

Whenever I try to upload I just get this error.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I have tried switching the RX and TX pins and that did nothing, I tried holding down the reset button before uploading and the LED on the pro mini flashed like it was getting something but I still got this error.

Do I need to connect the CTS pin to something? I am using arduino 1.0.3, using avr isp MKII, and have the board set to the pro mini 5v.

Also, there are 3 pads on the bottom of the usb adapter, like this [] [] []
the left side says 3.3v, the middle is unmarked, and the right side is marked 5v, do I need to solder between the middle and 5v?

This is the usb programmer and board I ordered, but I got two separate boards, but they seem totally identical.

So it turns out all the mini boards have that LED flashing so no, the blink script did not get uploaded.

I bridged the middle pad and 5v, did nothing. I also switched from the wires to just placing the pro mini and ftdl on the same breadboard strips, however that hasn't changed anything either.

Well I've also tried just hooking he board up to the right pins on my arduino mega and still nothing, what the f**k is wrong?

Well here is the verbose output

Using Port : \.\COM4
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

If I hold shift when uploading I get this

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

So for some reason it is not "seeing" the adapter I guess? Sigh

Did you install the FTDI drivers for the programmer card?
www.ftdichip.com

I would also check that the "ebay "arduino compatible"" clone has a bootloader that is set up for 57600 comm's.
Get the FTDI board talking first.
You can connect Rx to Tx and try the Loopback Test, see if data is passing thru the device.

I installed the drivers from the official site instead, that changed nothing. I am not sure if the bootloader supports that rate or not.

I tried the feedback test as is, I also tried it setting the bits per second to 57600 in device manager and on the serial monitor, but get nothing back.

So when you did the loopback test,
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0
what happened?
For your setup, you would not connect the FTDI board to the promini at all, just the programmer's Rx to Tx.

I got nothing on the feedback test, so I guess the board is bad?

I've seen people use the uno R3 for it's tx, rx, gnd, vcc and reset pins to program these, would that be possible with the mega, or use the mega to program the mini somehow? (I know you can program an attiny85 with it, not sure if something similar would work.)

What's the other side of the programmer look like?

Looks like most others you would buy.

It does.
If loopback test is not working, it would seem be a dud then.

I have a couple of them, lately I have been using a MIKROE-483 from mouser with some jumpers as I misplaced my old FTDI Basic from Sparkfun. I don't buy electronics from e-bay in general. I did buy some CP2102 modules for USB/Serial adapters after retrolefty recommended them.
Gotta be this specific one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP2102-USB-2-0-to-UART-TTL-6PIN-Module-Serial-Converter-/130683943875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6d5ebbc3
so that the Reset trace can be cut and the DTR pin jumpered over from one of the holes on the side (it is marked on the back) to the header instead.

OK I'll order one of those, and just have to wait a couple weeks. Can you show me yours with the cut trace and pin jumped?

See the trace on the lower right that goes to the pin (labeled RST on the other side)?
Carefully make a cut across that, maybe 2 side by side, to break the connection.
Then add a small wire from the hole labeled DTR to the pin. I used 30 guage wirewrap wire.
Will have to dig that one up, it's buried on my workbench somewhere.

ok that seems straightforward enough

I had similar issue. At the end I disconnected the pin gnd which is next to blk and I uploaded my program.

ppolyviou89:
I had similar issue. At the end I disconnected the pin gnd which is next to blk and I uploaded my program.

I'll have to try that. Did you just hook it to a different gnd connection or something?

Do we need any resistors/capacitors for the connection of the DTR signal?
Somewhere I read, that it has autoreset-function then...
Maybe I'm mixing up two different things here

XOIIO:
ok that seems straightforward enough

Keep in mind that you will also have to locate the proper USB driver software for this serial converter compatible with your PC as the arduino IDE does not have one for this series chip.

While I located such a driver for my windows XP system when I first bought one I don't have a link handy at this time, but perhaps someone else does?

Lefty