Help! Unable to Burn bootloder to Ardiuno uno

Greetings i need some help from you all I am getting multiple errors can i use -f multiple times to skip multiple errors in avrdude

How exactly are you trying to burn the bootloader and what happens when you try ?

1 Like

greetings i am using USB asp to Burn boot into my uno as my uno died after my summer exams

It says can't set sck period and wrong device signature but I able to skip cant set sck error but unable to skip another one

Please describe exactly what steps you are taking

What caused the Uno to die ?
Is the programmer recognised by the PC ?
Are you sure that the programmer is connected correctly to the Uno ?
If you are using the ICSP header then is the programmer connected the right way round ?
When you connect the programmer does the Uno power up ?
Have you got anything except the programmer connected to the Uno ?
Exactly which chip is on the Uno ?

1 Like

Each and every thing is fine but my usb asp is old and I don't have another programmer to update its firmware and my uno uses atmega 328 pu

I am using avrdudess software to do that

What happens if you use the IDE to burn the bootloader ?

1 Like

Uh it stops on can't set sck period

This is my configuration

No. Don't even use it one time. The errors are there for a reason. Even if you skipped them, thee problem that caused the error will still cause the process to fail. You need to identify the cause of the error and fix it.

Are you absolutely certain this "sck error" you mention is actually an error? The one everyone else gets is a warning, not an error. The difference between a warning and an error is a concept you must understand if you are to have success with Arduino.

This is a good example of why you must always post the full and exact text of any error or warning messages while asking for help here on the forum. Vague statements like "sck error" only waste everyone's time.

I recommend that you use Arduino IDE for the purposes of this discussion. The Arduino IDE works perfectly well and eliminates a lot of potential chances to get confused or even put your Uno in an unusable state.

Once you have things working fine with Arduino IDE, if you later decide you want to experiment with avrdudess, great! But right now when things are not working it is best to avoid unnecessary complications.

Please do this:

1. Select File > Preferences from the Arduino IDE menus.
  2. Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload".
  3. Click the OK button.
  4. Select Tools > Burn Bootloader from the Arduino IDE menus.
  5. After the Burn Bootloader process fails, you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar: Copy error messages. Click that button.
  6. Open a forum reply here by clicking the Reply button.
  7. Click the </> icon on the post composer toolbar. This will add the forum's code block markup (```) to your reply to make sure the error messages are correctly formatted.
    Code block
  8. Press Ctrl+V. This will paste the compilation output into the code block.
  9. Move the cursor outside of the code block markup before you add any additional text to your reply.
  10. Click the Reply button to post the output.
1 Like

Ohh thanks for your kind reply and correction

here is verbose

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cusbasp -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

OK, there we go.

This is only a warning.

A common mistake made by the owners of these USBasps is to get scared by that warning and waste a bunch of time to install the official firmware to "fix" it. However, the modified firmware that comes on the most common Chinese manufactured USBasps handles the SCK period automatically. So the warning doesn't actually indicate a problem. The problem with doing the firmware update is that the official firmware you will usually replace the Chinese one with is actually inferior to the Chinese one that causes the warning. So you go through a ton of work to get the firmware "updated" only to find that you are having new problems. The Chinese firmware is proprietary, so there is no way to restore it.

Fortunately, some members of this amazing Arduino community have produced an open source version of the firmware that is even better in some specific use cases than the Chinese firmware. But my recommendation is to only update the firmware if you have a specific reason to do it.

More information on all that here:

The problem you are having now will not be fixed by a firmware update, so please don't think about the firmware update until after the current issue has been resolved.

This is the error to focus on. This is usually caused by a wiring problem between the USBasp and the Arduino board. It can not be fixed by -F.

Those problems are covered by the reply above made by UKHeliBob, so please take a close look at it.

1 Like

uh where is @UKHeliBob 's reply on it please tell me reply number i am unable to find it and thank you for quick reply

gretings can you help me with my second problem

gretings pls can you help me with my second problem

number 5

No need for thanks, and I am not sure that my reply was that helpful, but at least the questions I asked produced more details from you

What is your second problem ?

[quote="vyom_2010, post:13, topic:922545"]

avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1