Help with a project that i want to create!!

Hi everybody:

Im trying to develop a project but I'm at the Initial Phase. The concept from the project is that i want to create some kind of security device using Xbees for wireless comunication, and Wireless IP Camera that is going to take a snap-shot from the person that goes inside the room and a motion sensor that detects motion inside the room. I dont know if I need to use an arduino for this. I really would appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

hi,
alot of ip cams do all that for you, motion sense, relay trigger, take a snap and the e-mail you, just beware of the cheap ones on ebay, they work but their cheap for a reason

The Arduino is way to weak to deal with a video stream in any reasonable way. So you will need a "real" computer to deal with the video camera. So why not have this computer do the detection and all off the processing? No need for a motion sensor as well. There is more than one open source software for exactly this task available.

Thanks for the suggestion but i need to build most of the project. I know that using the computer is easy but for my academic department dean is going to be too easy!!

Then use openCV and include object tracking. Still to easy --> add face recognition :wink:

BTW: making solutions more complicated than necessary is not a sign of excellence.

ac1234:
Hi everybody:

Im trying to develop a project but I'm at the Initial Phase. The concept from the project is that i want to create some kind of security device using Xbees for wireless comunication, and Wireless IP Camera that is going to take a snap-shot from the person that goes inside the room and a motion sensor that detects motion inside the room. I dont know if I need to use an arduino for this. I really would appreciate any help with this. Thanks.

I'm not aware of an IP solution over XBee, although I suppose there might be one. In any case, a wireless IP camera would presumably be using TCP/IP over WiFi. Running a motion detection application on a PC connected via WiFi is such an obvious solution that it's really not worth considering any other approaches. But if you want some electro/mechanical system in the room to be triggered as a result, that's when your Arduino might enter the solution.

Ok, what about this:

I want to create for the main door these components together:
breadboard with xbee, pir sensor and a battery setup or any kind of power supply.

in the computer: arduino with the other xbee.

The problem is:
I want the IP camera to take a snapshot when the pir sensor detects any motion, and then I want this picture to be sent to the computer to be analyzed with face recognition.

Im having issues with all the connections. Thanks for the help.

I think your proposed design is flawed. If the intent is to capture a picture when there is movement in the room, the most sensible, simple and reliable solution is to run software on the PC to do motion detection. This software is freely available.

Although it's possible to use a PIR sensor as a trigger, it would be much more complicated (and so take more development, and be less reliable) and would give you zero advantage over the motion detection approach. It would also have some disadvantages, because the PIR sensor will be able to trigger on things outside the camera's field of view and under light conditions where the camera cannot operate, which will result in pointless triggering of the camera.

All that being said, if you want to take a picture when the PIR sensor triggers then you need to interface the PIR sensor to an Arduino (I haven't done that myself, but others have) and then have your sketch send a message to the PC when it is triggered, and have an application on the PC receive that message and trigger some 3rd party application to grab a webcam snapshot - again, the software to do that on the PC is freely available.