High side switch help

Hi,

I want to replace a mechanical switch that supplies 5v at 300ma, to a display board. The board is permanently grounded, so I think a high side switch is the correct option. It will be switched using a processor output at 3.3v.

I can't find a suitable logic enhanced P-channel MOSFET that will handle around 1 amp, just much larger currents, so I'm thinking about using a BC516 Darlington PNP transistor.

At this point I'm not sure what to order and which way to go, so I'm stuck. Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Will an IRLML6401 work? I'd rather have a through hole part, but it has a gate rating of 1.8v and it will handle the current. If so, what are the appropriate resistor values to use? Thanks again.

For 300mA load you want a MOSFET rated at 5A or more anyway, just go with it. You should be
choosing MOSFETs based on the on-resistance, not the max current. Pick a device with on-resistance
of 0.2 ohms or less (it can be much less, not a problem). Make sure its logic level.

If you are anywhere near the max current, you've made a design error, as this means the device
will need lots of heatsinking and/or fan cooling. Max current is a usually thermal limit you want to keep
well away from (for continuous duty at least).

The IRLML6401 only has an abs max gate-source voltage of +/-8V, so I'd definitely avoid that, far
too delicate. Most devices will have +/-20V or higher ratings for the gate oxide, that's good.

Thank you. It looks like the NDP6020P will work, with on resistance of .059 ohms, and it is logic enhanced, although it is a 24 amp device.

Is a 1K resistor in series with the gate, sufficient? Also, is a pullup resistor between the gate and VCC required, possibly 10K ?

You can't switch a MOSFET at 5V with only 3V.

A pullup woud work except that will apply 5V to your processor pin. Is that chip 5V tolerant? The only Arduino variants I know of that are is some but not all of the Teensy series.

A better way is to switch an N type MOSFET which then switches the 5V pullup for the high side.

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have seen it. I'll use either an ESP32 or MKR1000, both not 5v tolerant. I found the attached circuit online. I think it's what I need, except it is switching 12v and the diode won't be necessary. Will it work?

That should work. Keep the diode.

Thank you. The NDP6020P has a built-in diode. I'll add one just to be sure, though.

I should have spotted the need for level shifting too, mea culpa.

The NDP6020P arrived yesterday and the circuit works perfectly. Thanks again for the help.