Home Automation Data Transmission Meathod

Hey guys i'm doing a home automation project. I want several 'slaves' connected to the 'master'. The data will be sent in both direction(from slave to master and from master to slave). What type of wireless module should i use for this purpose? I think that the Xbee and nrf24l01 will be perfect for this purpose but which one should i use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi,
I have the same question which I posted here:

If anyone can help me i would appreciate it very much.

suersaiyangod:
Hey guys i'm doing a home automation project. I want several 'slaves' connected to the 'master'. The data will be sent in both direction(from slave to master and from master to slave). What type of wireless module should i use for this purpose? I think that the Xbee and nrf24l01 will be perfect for this purpose but which one should i use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks :slight_smile:

I don't have experience with neither Xbee nor nrf24l01. But why don't you think about using wifi module esp8266 which one you might heard about. This one is suitable to your needing and there are many tutorials and examples for easy and quick implementation.

NRF24L01+. Good library support, very low power. 105 channels. 6 pipes to receive on one module. Mesh network already available Frequency hopping available. Not WiFi so ( a little) more secure. CHEAP! :slight_smile:

thnx a lot skywatch. will try it and update you all

I made a project just for that!
I am calling it 'Lambda Nodes'. The communication is done through an NRF24L01 and it is tiny and battery powered. Currently I have three nodes in development, one measures temperature, one uses an environmental sensor (temperature, humidity and pressure) and one has a capacitive probe to measure soil moisture to monitor plants.
The CR2032 battery lifetime is quite long, like 2-3 years or so, depending on the update rate.

I also designed a base receiver station based on an ESP8266 but it works just fine with an Arduino if you don't need the internet connectivity.
If there is any interest in my project I could open a new thread about it.

This is what the sensor node looks like by the way

it uses a BME280 environmental sensor and it is just 43x22mm in size

DedeHai:
I made a project just for that!
I am calling it 'Lambda Nodes'. The communication is done through an NRF24L01 and it is tiny and battery powered. Currently I have three nodes in development, one measures temperature, one uses an environmental sensor (temperature, humidity and pressure) and one has a capacitive probe to measure soil moisture to monitor plants.
The CR2032 battery lifetime is quite long, like 2-3 years or so, depending on the update rate.

I also designed a base receiver station based on an ESP8266 but it works just fine with an Arduino if you don't need the internet connectivity.
If there is any interest in my project I could open a new thread about it.

I'd love to hear more about this than trying to re-invent the wheel. I am starting to put together little modules with sensors and you might have already solved the "how" of the project.

bikingbadger:
I'd love to hear more about this than trying to re-invent the wheel. I am starting to put together little modules with sensors and you might have already solved the "how" of the project.

Ok, I'll post some more details in a new thread as soon as I have time to write it up. I also want to make a video demo but that may take some time.

Hi @DedeHai, I am interested with your Lambda nodes project.
Please share if you dont mind. :slight_smile:

Thx a lot.

I recorded a demo video about the Lambda Nodes today and will upload it to youtube tomorrow and open a new thread with some more info.

edit:
the new thread is finally open: Introducing Lambda Nodes