Hook and Ring Game

I have a fun project in mind to motorize a hook and ring game. (How to Play Hook and Ring Game - Tosso.com). The premise being that when you successfully get the ring onto the hook a servo will drop the hook down, releasing the ring, allowing it to swing back to the player so they can keep playing. Yes I get it, I'm a bit lazy :slight_smile:

However what I am struggling with is what is the best and most feasible way to detect when the ring is on the hook. I think the obvious answer would be that it completes a circuit. However I believe that would require running wire to the ceiling hook (or grounding it?) and replacing the normal string with wire; neither of which are ideal. So looking to get some new ideas. Any thoughts for how I can detect a metal ring on metal hook while having all the hardware/electronics housed at the wall hook?

Thanks!

Mount the hook on a hinge and pull it up with a light spring. The weight of a ring can pull the hook down slightly to actuate a microswitch on the back side. Or, maybe a load cell if you want to get fancy.

A well aimed TOF sensor should be able to be mounted on the same plane as the hook and register a distance difference if the ring is in the way.

You could design the hook base to rotate to drop the ring off.

put a bare wire on the hook so the ring touches the wire and the hook.
you could put on some insulator, the hot glue, or some such.

I had a quick go at this game a year ago in an 800 year old pub! Yes, 800 years old! The room in the pub is really just a cave in the side of a cliff. The hook was made from a bull's horn and looked like it was almost as old as the pub itself. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem See page 6.

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

PaulRB:
I had a quick go at this game a year ago in an 800 year old pub! Yes, 800 years old! The room in the pub is really just a cave in the side of a cliff. The hook was made from a bull's horn and looked like it was almost as old as the pub itself. Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem See page 6.

This is incredible! I am calling this game "Baiting the Bull" from now on!

dave-in-nj:
put a bare wire on the hook so the ring touches the wire and the hook.
you could put on some insulator, the hot glue, or some such.

Yes this is great, seems like a super simple approach. I am trying to imagine how I can arrange the wire relative to the hook to make sure the ring contacts both. I am thinking if I put it directly on top it may only contact the wire, on the side it may only contact the hook. Will need to do some testing.

Slumpert:
A well aimed TOF sensor should be able to be mounted on the same plane as the hook and register a distance difference if the ring is in the way.

You could design the hook base to rotate to drop the ring off.

I just so happen to have one of these laying around, going to try this! I am a bit concerned with the surface area available on the ring to bounce off of. Also great idea just rotating it off! Not sure why I didn't think of that to begin with, simplifies the arrangement with the servo a ton. Thanks!

dougp:
Mount the hook on a hinge and pull it up with a light spring. The weight of a ring can pull the hook down slightly to actuate a microswitch on the back side. Or, maybe a load cell if you want to get fancy.

Thanks for the idea! The ring I have is pretty light weight, so I am a bit concerned with the sensitivity required to make this work. But I am going to keep this in my back pocket in case the other ideas don't pan out.