How do you mount your Arduino in a box?

Hi all.

My 3D Printer is now making front and rear panels simple - see examples. Great!

But now the Arduino itself. How do you mount an Arduino in a box? Ugly holes in the bottom? A separate mounting board maybe (but then to mount that, what kind of self-tapping screws do I need?) Or the little studs that were suggested? Or some other way?

As you see I am not a hardware guy...

1 Like

3D print some hollow pillars with a large base, and super glue them inside the case. I use 3 screws, and the 4th pillar as a support.

Pillars: with a screw thread? Or for use with self-tapping screws? Or some other method? (As you see, not a hardware guy :slight_smile: )

Hello,
and congrates to this perfekt printed front plate wrt your first attemped shown few week ago.
I am using this mounting bolts to mount elecronics inside of cases.

1 Like

This may sound like a hack job but I use double sided tape. My Arduino boards have no mounting holes.

If you don't want screws showing in the bottom you can make a small circle of ABS and use pipe cement to adhere it to the bottom of the housing. Nothing I've found holds like the ABS cement.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, that 3-D printer was a wise investment. The back plate, too, worked out very well indeed. I am learning the ins and outs of the 3D printer and 3D design - very slowly...

Great look :slight_smile:
I will take the plunge one of these days.

What printer are you using? What material?

Hello
For my project I´m using the 3D models as placeholder from grabcad. They have a hudge libary. You may take a view.
https://grabcad.com/library/lcd-screen-6
Remember to check the dimensions of the model before printing.

1 Like

if you look at the photo of the hand holding the case.
you can see two bosses on the bottom, rear of the enclosure.
there should be two more in the front and holes in each.
these take plastic screws (metal screws with very wide thread spacing, usually found spread out on the floor after disassembling some old alarm clock or some such)

you can add these [bosses] to the front panel and mount a NANO.
or get/make a board and screw it to those holes, then mount your bits and bobs on that board.

1 Like

You can buy cases etc for the uno - you could mount/glue/double side tape one of those inside your case .
Or…I have used screw with a short length of car windscreen washer tube ( 4-5mm) board then a nut to act as a springy spacer.
If your box will have rubber feet , it’s no problem having screw heads out the bottom.

Worth getting a few packs of small nuts/bolts ( screws) off eBay , plastic even better

1 Like

Hi @michaelwillems h
your box very well made. Congratulations.
My suggestion is to use small rails made in your 3D and glued horizontally to the base of the box.
The attached image is just a template.

RV mineirin
images

1 Like

3d print a floor 3/16 thick and countersink for flathead allen screws from the bottom. hold the allen screws in place with a nylon nut. this keeps unequal length solder joints on the bottom from contacting the case. use the threaded part as a stud. fasten with a nylon coupler, also known as a standoff

2 Likes

A few drops of hot glue works for me.

1 Like

I reckon there are many solutions to be had thru 3d printing. Perhaps it's a matter of knowing what techniques can be done and select and mix those that will satisfy yr needs.

Do you intend on staying with the Uno? A Nano lends itself more to a permanent installation than does a Uno.

1 Like

Goddamn man.... you made THAT, and you're asking US how to mount the Arduino? I'm pretty sure you're in the top percentile of people on these forums when it comes to fabricating enclosures.

I always put mounting holes in my PCBs (I don't use official boards or clones very much, because I have a severe case of chronic not-invented-here syndrome), but I just screw nylon standoffs onto them and sit them on the desk like that. You're saying that it you want to have the board *rigidly attached to an enclosure? That's just crazy talk. Next you're gonna tell me that devices that need to be above the floor and behind furniture shouldn't just be dangling from dupont line or something....

But seriously, mad props on the enclosure, that looks beautiful. The only thing I want to suggest is.... try searching AliExpress for combinations of words like "metal" "panel" "Indicator" "LED" or "switch" and so onthere are some astonishingly cheap, really slick looking panel-mount LEDs, buttons, and switches; depending on your aesthetic tastes, you'll probably love them or hate them compared to the ones you're using - so it;s worth checking.

(Or ebay, you see the same stuff there - but aliexpress is cheaper and more importantly, has a much wider variety. They ship via ox-cart (with water buffalo to cross the pacific) but if you place like one order a day and don't need anything you buy there urgently, you still get one package a day, so it feels almost like you got it overnight. Only it's even more exciting, because by the time it arrives, you won't remember exactly what it is, so there's a christmas morning sort of effect every time the mail comes. Just don't buy bare IC's supposedly made by western companies on there, or anything expensive enough that you'd particularly care if it vanished or turned out to be be halfassed crap.

Coincidentally, aliexpress is THE PLACE to get nylon standoffs and screws for mounting boards. I use M3, they fit in the same holes that I;d use for #4 screws in imperial measurements, and they are cheap and abundant. Prices on there are just in another galaxy compared, for example, to McMasterCarr. Ther quality is usually at least mediocre (I'd buy screws and standoffs, and try to avoid using the nuts from there, they tend to be disappointing) - but do you care how strong the standoff that you're using to mount a circuit board that weighs under an ounce is?

1 Like

Here's my project with the hood up.

1 Like

So it would appear. :roll_eyes:

However my suspicion is that because the incoming mail service does not get paid for the deluge of little packages, and there is virtually no traffic in the other direction to offset the costs, it is simply given a priority of zero in the local processing. (Or in UNIX terms, a high "nice". :grin:)

More likely they turn up in quantity as a bolus.

There is that! :+1:

Mmm. I suppose I should look at nanos one of these days. I’m not even sure how they work - like how do you program them - but I suppose I’ll get there eventually. I’m familiar now with the Uno, and I like it, that’s all.

That’s beautiful. Outstanding.

What is it?

And there’s the rub: I’ve no idea what those are or how to get them. What size? Self-tapping I presume? Etc